Live streaming setup?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Etern4l

Hi all,

Any experiences with live streaming your commutes?

Following a recent Grand Union Canal (Paddington branch near Harlesden) towpath assault that ended with me personally probing the canal depth in January, I'm looking to regroup and hopefully reinforce my commute using a front+back (or 360) camera setup. One idea (apart from more conservative route selection) is to run a private live stream from the primary helmet/chest/handlebar mounted camera to a) provide reassurance to concerned family members b) have some video evidence in the cloud in the event of a robbery or a total loss of the camera/card. Looks like the mobile contracts available can handle the networking (I'm assuming RTMP streaming is not blocked by say O2), so the question is more about the camera setup.

The immediate option is to use a GoPro (Hero 7+) and stream privately to GoPro servers, FB (this option is unappealing from the privacy standpoint), or perhaps a private server.
The commute should be around 40 min long, so one would hope a GoPro would handle this on a single battery, although that is not clear given that WiFi would need to be enabled. Additionally, there are many reports of those devices overheating.

An Insta360 model would be another option, although they don't offer private streaming and overall they seem like a less robust option (e.g. apparently the R model cannot handle gapless streaming over 20 min). The cost of either is not ideal.

One new idea I picked up here is the Drift Ghost X. Apparently it supports live private streaming, but this being Huawei one does have to wonder about the reliability of the software. Case in point, the Ghost XL webpage seems to be down....

I am wondering if any of those solutions are even viable, given the risk of overheating or instability of live feeds over mobile networks. Battery life is less of a worry, that could be addressed by bar/chest mounting and using a power bank.

Another question is whether riding around with a lot of camera equipment, particularly something more expensive like a GoPro could actually attract scummy types more than repel them? Has anyone experienced harassment or worse specifically due to action cams being carried? Seems unlikely to me given the cost of some of the bikes people ride in the first place. But what about a £300-400+ GoPro kit?

Lastly, what about 360 cameras: obviously, these seem appealing from the coverage standpoint, but mounting options look ridiculous, except perhaps a helmet-mounted GoPro Max. Unfortunately 360 streaming is straight up not available on the GoPro Max and on Insta360 it is only available to YT/FB (and seems like it's less reliable, as one would expect given the additional massive bandwidth requirements). Overall, this seems like an overkill, even if it worked, but still curious if anyone has tried it.

Many thanks for any advice people can spare.

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
Sorry to read of your involuntary immersion!

My Drift Ghost XL applied an update to "improve streaming" but all it did was cut the bitrate & reduce the quality of the images so that registration plates could not be read in anything other than broad daylight. After a few weeks they agreed to send me the old firmware so I could install that and evict the "update". I am sorry I have not used it for streaming footage but I understand it can be done somehow.

As for attracting harrassment, in most instances I am not convinced drivers notice my camera on the side of the helmet or even on the bars. They don't look that closely. Even this fellow below failed to notice it, as he threatened me for tapping his precious vehicle as it closed in on me from the side, and you can see how close he got to it. Maybe people on foot might notice though.

I suppose at least my Drift is meant to be submersible for a short period without compromising the recordings.

If your family is worried about you, then Google location sharing might help, or my Wahoo bolt has a tracking service if connected to the app as I ride along, so my location can be shared. Sometimes my wife keeps an eye on my progress on long rides & I'll get a text when stopped to ask how it's going.

ianbarton

Veteran
You can't live stream to YouTube if your channel has less than 1000 subscribers. Your GoPro should be fine for a 40 minute commute. Overheating usually only happens if you are recording at the highest possible bitrate. My Hero 9 is fine for recording at 4k 30fps. Battery life at this resolution is about 50 mins. You can get more battery life if you drop to 1080p.

OP
OP
E

Etern4l

Sorry to read of your involuntary immersion!

My Drift Ghost XL applied an update to "improve streaming" but all it did was cut the bitrate & reduce the quality of the images so that registration plates could not be read in anything other than broad daylight. After a few weeks they agreed to send me the old firmware so I could install that and evict the "update". I am sorry I have not used it for streaming footage but I understand it can be done somehow.

As for attracting harrassment, in most instances I am not convinced drivers notice my camera on the side of the helmet or even on the bars. They don't look that closely. Even this fellow below failed to notice it, as he threatened me for tapping his precious vehicle as it closed in on me from the side, and you can see how close he got to it. Maybe people on foot might notice though.

View attachment 630332
I suppose at least my Drift is meant to be submersible for a short period without compromising the recordings.

If your family is worried about you, then Google location sharing might help, or my Wahoo bolt has a tracking service if connected to the app as I ride along, so my location can be shared. Sometimes my wife keeps an eye on my progress on long rides & I'll get a text when stopped to ask how it's going.

Thanks for the honest feedback on the Drift. Just what I expected, unfortunately. Still, looks like a solid option if streaming is not a priority.

Wow, nice snapshot. Was he on his way back from the pub or something? Hope the knob got himself a public order for that!

Speaking of prosecution on camera evidence, I just completed my first helmet camera ride (with a cheapo Crosstour for now). I must have recorded dozens of violations, the most infuriating and prevalent was parking on single yellow line and the cyclepath. Clearly none of those drivers felt they were at risk. If I counted close passes I would be up all night reporting. Red light runs were just little cherries on top. Do people think there is any point reporting on these offences. Obvioaly the police themselves don't care.

OP
OP
E

Etern4l

You can't live stream to YouTube if your channel has less than 1000 subscribers. Your GoPro should be fine for a 40 minute commute. Overheating usually only happens if you are recording at the highest possible bitrate. My Hero 9 is fine for recording at 4k 30fps. Battery life at this resolution is about 50 mins. You can get more battery life if you drop to 1080p.

Thank you for the colour. I'm aware of the YouTube limitation. The remaining options are FB, GoPro, or RTMP to other platforms or the NAS. Have you tried any of those during a longer bike ride?

I understand streaming is only possible at 1080p, so I'm curious how much battery life would one get out of a Hero 9/10 in this particular mode, with "Save high res copy to SD card" option selected.

OP
OP
E

Etern4l

BTW I wonder if the Drift (or the cameras disguised/doubling as lights) might not be as effective as visual deterrents simply because it's not immediate they are cameras? Seeing the Drift for the first time, people might very well think it's one of those outsize lights some cyclists use these days to blind oncoming traffic and pedestrians.

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
Thanks for the honest feedback on the Drift. Just what I expected, unfortunately. Still, looks like a solid option if streaming is not a priority.

Wow, nice snapshot. Was he on his way back from the pub or something? Hope the knob got himself a public order for that!

Speaking of prosecution on camera evidence, I just completed my first helmet camera ride (with a cheapo Crosstour for now). I must have recorded dozens of violations, the most infuriating and prevalent was parking on single yellow line and the cyclepath. Clearly none of those drivers felt they were at risk. If I counted close passes I would be up all night reporting. Red light runs were just little cherries on top. Do people think there is any point reporting on these offences. Obvioaly the police themselves don't care.
He was convicted of a public order offence & duly fined, after a trial. I was glad of the camera. I report the close passes because my local police (Avon & Somerset) do care and do take action on the reports.

OP
OP
E

Etern4l

He was convicted of a public order offence & duly fined, after a trial. I was glad of the camera. I report the close passes because my local police (Avon & Somerset) do care and do take action on the reports.

Nice. Why do I get a feeling it was just another notch on that bloke's record? So let's assume he didn't initially recognise the Drift as a camera, what if it was a GoPro? I wonder if he would have stepped back or become further aggravated to the point of trying to grab/destroy the camera...

Give Google a call - you might get paid for your commute as well...

View attachment 630436

I've read about that. Need a higher end 360 camera.

ianbarton

Veteran
Thank you for the colour. I'm aware of the YouTube limitation. The remaining options are FB, GoPro, or RTMP to other platforms or the NAS. Have you tried any of those during a longer bike ride?

I understand streaming is only possible at 1080p, so I'm curious how much battery life would one get out of a Hero 9/10 in this particular mode, with "Save high res copy to SD card" option selected.
I haven't tried streaming myself. I am more interested in making videos of my rides. I would imagine the main problem would be having enough bandwidth all the time from your phone. I live in a rural area and network speed can be patchy.

I carry a Telesin charger box which holds three batteries. You can recharge the batteries from a power bank. However, three batteries are more than enough for one ride. The GoPro 9 and 10 both have Horizon Levelling, which saves a lot of post-production effort in doing it yourself.

OP
OP
E

Etern4l

I haven't tried streaming myself. I am more interested in making videos of my rides. I would imagine the main problem would be having enough bandwidth all the time from your phone. I live in a rural area and network speed can be patchy.

I carry a Telesin charger box which holds three batteries. You can recharge the batteries from a power bank. However, three batteries are more than enough for one ride. The GoPro 9 and 10 both have Horizon Levelling, which saves a lot of post-production effort in doing it yourself.

Thank you. This would be for London commuting, so bandwidth dips should be rare.

How would you rate the Telesin charger vs the original? Some Amazon reviews complain about slow charge speed. Have you tried using the new Enduro batteries?

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
How about just not bothering with a camera ? All this extra faff before you jump on a bike totally spoils the ride. It's bad enough clipping lights onto the bike in winter for the commute home, never mind starting cameras, checking they are on record, then, god forbid, live streaming ! :wacko:

ianbarton

Veteran
Thank you. This would be for London commuting, so bandwidth dips should be rare.

How would you rate the Telesin charger vs the original? Some Amazon reviews complain about slow charge speed. Have you tried using the new Enduro batteries?
I haven't tried the Enduro batteries. The Telesin rate of charge is OK for me. Since I have three batteries I don't really need to worry about a fast recharge rate. I have never owned the GoPro charger, so can't really compare it with the Telesin.

OP
OP
E

Etern4l

How about just not bothering with a camera ? All this extra faff before you jump on a bike totally spoils the ride. It's bad enough clipping lights onto the bike in winter for the commute home, never mind starting cameras, checking they are on record, then, god forbid, live streaming ! :wacko:

I'm not worried about any of that, my only concern is whether the additional gear might provide an additional incentive for some lowlifes to try and have a go.

I haven't tried the Enduro batteries. The Telesin rate of charge is OK for me. Since I have three batteries I don't really need to worry about a fast recharge rate. I have never owned the GoPro charger, so can't really compare it with the Telesin.

Cool, last one: how is the low-light performance? The Crosstour I'm playing around with barely manages to capture licence plates or face details at night unless the subject is directly lit by headlightd at close range.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I'm not worried about any of that, my only concern is whether the additional gear might provide an additional incentive for some lowlifes to try and have a go.

Cool, last one: how is the low-light performance? The Crosstour I'm playing around with barely manages to capture licence plates or face details at night unless the subject is directly lit by headlightd at close range.

You are better off not 'advertising' the fact you've expensive kit. I ride 13 miles to work and back on the canal, and it's on an old rigid MTB, with panniers and it would be a pig to stop if someone tried it on, that said, not come across any issues since I started it for the daily commute 6 months ago.

We've an old train line that has high cycling and walking traffic that seems to be an area for mugging cyclists, but it's usually in daylight during the day. Personally never had any issues using it.

Can you avoid that area on your commute ?

Top Bottom