Live streaming setup?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
E

Etern4l

You are better off not 'advertising' the fact you've expensive kit. I ride 13 miles to work and back on the canal, and it's on an old rigid MTB, with panniers and it would be a pig to stop if someone tried it on, that said, not come across any issues since I started it for the daily commute 6 months ago.

We've an old train line that has high cycling and walking traffic that seems to be an area for mugging cyclists, but it's usually in daylight during the day. Personally never had any issues using it.

Can you avoid that area on your commute ?
That's basically my commuter. The low cost setup didn't stop the bros from having a go. I think they picked me purely based on opportune timing. They were unlikely to be able to assess my setup as I approached with full beam lights on. The more I think about it, the more this streaming thing seems like an overkill. Two cheapo AKASA/Crosstour setup should do the trick, and if any get stolen or lost it will be a £50 loss a pop including memory card.

Yes, I can try to select seemingly safer routes. Will find out how well I did after some 100 rides.

Could you just use a mobile phone with a decent camera?

Do you suggest helmet mounting the main driver? Ugh. Buying a dedicated secondary phone obviously makes no sense, since it would cost about the same if not more than a GoPro.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
That's basically my commuter. The low cost setup didn't stop the bros from having a go. I think they picked me purely based on opportune timing. They were unlikely to be able to assess my setup as I approached with full beam lights on. The more I think about it, the more this streaming thing seems like an overkill. Two cheapo AKASA/Crosstour setup should do the trick, and if any get stolen or lost it will be a £50 loss a pop including memory card.

Yes, I can try to select seemingly safer routes. Will find out how well I did after some 100 rides.

Do you suggest helmet mounting the main driver? Ugh. Buying a dedicated secondary phone obviously makes no sense, since it would cost about the same if not more than a GoPro.
Did they get the bike ? Must say I go through some dodgy area's on the Ashton Canal in and around Etihad Stadium and Clayton, and other than groups smoking weed under bridges when the days are lighter, I see virtually no-one.

OP
OP
E

Etern4l

Did they get the bike ? Must say I go through some dodgy area's on the Ashton Canal in and around Etihad Stadium and Clayton, and other than groups smoking weed under bridges when the days are lighter, I see virtually no-one.

I pulled the bike into the canal with me. The gambit paid off since I managed to retrieve it and later return home on it, otherwise not sure how I would. Cycling kept me a bit warmer. The police didn't even offer to help.

I had exectly the same impressions regarding the route over the couple of years. A bit dodgy/remote, regular sightings of hoodies, etc smoking weed. I remember there were more concrete warnings though. The police cordoning off a section of the canal which presumably must have been a murder rinvestogatuon, and once or twice a group of b. (very similar to the one which ultimately attacked me) occupied a little bridge section, and only reluctantly let me though after staring at me for a while.

I should add I am arguably not the most obvious attack target, but of course few people would actually stand a chance against an armed gang.

Every single planner suggests the route, regardless of bike type etc. It was significantly faster than the alternatives I have tried so far. It was also quite nice in the summer. Safety first from now on! Although it looks like it is going to be a trade off between the risks of a road accident and an assault, so far the former risk looks low, and the latter is clearly massively lower compared to the remote canal cyclist trap.

Last edited:

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Glad you were OK. I tend to never lower my lights for groups, especially in the dark - yes for dog walkers, couples, individuals but not a group. Mine are blinding though. I'm commuting on the canal, as riding on the roads into Manchester are crap - I've got a string of injuries from commuting into manchester - shoulder needing surgery, broken ribs, and the worse, broken spine. I'd probably jump in the canal if a group tried something, or just charge them, with the intention of taking one into the drink with me. They always look deep, but when you see shopping trollies stuck out, you know they aren't.

Is there a road route past the particular area ? If I needed to, I could bypass a particular section if preferred, but it's far more pleasant than the road, and the MTB just drags on tarmac. This way, you can still ride the more peasant areas ?

OP
OP
E

Etern4l

Yes, I got off lightly. Just a week off on antibiotics.

I had 2400 "Chinese lumens" blasting at them, but was still caught completely by surprise. They did not look particularly threatening at first, and just pounced when I was a few feet away. There was no chance to meaningfully react, I was jumped and pushed off the bike. The whole thing took a couple of seconds, the thug approaching from the side was reaching for a weapon, so you neither could nor would want to charge that. In a sense I was lucky it was January, otherwise they might have followed me into the water.

Astonishing set of injuries. Very sorry to hear and amazed you are still cycling! Hope you managed to get hefty compensation... That is exactly what I have been wanting to avoid. I don't deem road cycling in London and presumably other major cities safe, no matter what some people say. The statistics speak for themselves, and there are just too many more or less horrible anecdotes around.

I switched to a completely different route as a trial. Not so bad, but unfortunately a lot more time on roads. So far seems OK, the very prominent helmet camera probably helps as I often see drivers giving me plenty of space and being unexpectedly courteous. Yet the risk is obviously there....

Last edited:
OP
OP
E

Etern4l

Ok, so the nighttime video from both GoPro and the Drift Ghost XL looks very serviceable. More questions about streaming:
1. Does the GoPro app need to be in foreground for the live streaming to continue, or can it run in background or while the phone is locked?
2. Ditto Drift Ghost. Additionally, how does the Drift live streaming work. Is it require a subscription?

GeekDadZoid

Über Member
On the youtube point, I can certainly live stream to my 16 subscribers as can my son to his 11 so if your account is a bit older you may find you are able to livestream to Youtube.

Other option if you are a FB users is create a private FB group with just your nearest and dearest and stream to that group.

If I was looking to do this I would probably use my phone on a chest mount, it provides decent coverage of what's in front of you and will not require much additional outlay, battery should be no issue if you make sure your suitably charged in advance.

OP
OP
E

Etern4l

On the youtube point, I can certainly live stream to my 16 subscribers as can my son to his 11 so if your account is a bit older you may find you are able to livestream to Youtube.

Other option if you are a FB users is create a private FB group with just your nearest and dearest and stream to that group.

If I was looking to do this I would probably use my phone on a chest mount, it provides decent coverage of what's in front of you and will not require much additional outlay, battery should be no issue if you make sure your suitably charged in advance.

Thank you. Hmm, nice idea with the phone chest mount. The problem is that I tend to use my phone mounted in front of me as a satnav etc. I am not sure how secure the chest mount would be, or how easy it would be to access the phone quickly if needed. I think I will just splash on a GoPro, although the Drift Ghost XL is a really tempting option particularly from the battery life and price perspectives :smile: - if only the streaming support wasn't so iffy.

Last edited:
OP
OP
E

Etern4l

Another option for the privacy conscious is to stream to a NAS. Not sure if any OEMs directly support this, but reasonably looking instructions can be found on the Web.

Last edited:

Alex321

Veteran
How about just not bothering with a camera ? All this extra faff before you jump on a bike totally spoils the ride. It's bad enough clipping lights onto the bike in winter for the commute home, never mind starting cameras, checking they are on record, then, god forbid, live streaming ! :wacko:
I wouldn't consider live streaming, but I don't consider it any significant extra faff to stick the camera on the bars. The mount is permanently attached, so it is no more than 10 seconds to add it. Then two button presses to activate it and start recording. Most of my rides are 40 minutes to an hour and a half, and 10 seconds at the start hardly "spoils" that.

You may well not want to bother, and that is perfectly reasonable, but why shouldn't others? Your preferences are not shared by all.

vickster

Legendary Member
I have considered a camera but with narrow bars, crosslevers, a small light mount, there is zero space for another mount. Garmin squeezed onto a shortish stem. Under stem not an option due to the cabling for the extra brakes (a far more important safety consideration for me than a camera)
I certainly have no intention of attaching anything to my helmet.
And I don't much like gadgets generally beyond phone and Garmin (and even then I'm sure I don't use their potential) :wacko:

OP
OP
E

Etern4l

I have considered a camera but with narrow bars, crosslevers, a light mount, there is zero space for another mount. Garmin squeezed onto a shortish stem. Under stem not an issue due to the cabling for the extra brakes (a far more important safety consideration for me than a camera)
I certainly have no intention of attaching anything to my helmet

A light camera such as Crosstour/ AKASO (70-80g + case) mounted on a helmet is not a bother for me. A GoPro probably won't be either. The mount is designed to disengage on impact (lateral, by the looks of it) .

OTOH handlebar mounting would allow for an additional case / metal protective cage, and be a bit safer still (although hitting a protruding handlebar mounted camera could be a safety hazard as well, edit: can be mounted underneath!), at the expense of lost POV. Will try to stick with the helmet mount for a while I guess.

Last edited:

vickster

Legendary Member
A light camera such as Crosstour/ AKASO (70-80g + case) mounted on a helmet is not a bother for me. A GoPro probably won't be either. The mount is designed to disengage on impact (lateral, by the looks of it) .

OTOH handlebar mounting would allow for an additional case / metal protective cage, and be a bit safer still (although hitting a protruding handlebar mounted camera could be a safety hazard as well, edit: can be mounted underneath!), at the expense of lost POV. Will try to stick with the helmet mount for a while I guess.
It’s not the weight, I just don’t want something that could end up in my skull as happened with Michael Schumacher (and is against the user instructions for bike helmets)

Top Bottom