Live streaming setup?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
E

Etern4l

It’s not the weight, I just don’t want something that could end up in my skull as happened with Michael Schumacher (and is against the user instructions for bike helmets)

To clarify, my helmet features a self-disengaging camera mount.

For completeness, there is also the chest mounting option. I guess that could end up affecting the chest, although well designed chest mounts, like the GoPro Chestie, have ample padding and a metal plate that could actually prove protective?

vickster

Legendary Member
To clarify, my helmet features a self-disengaging camera mount.

For completeness, there is also the chest mounting option. I guess that could end up affecting the chest, although well designed chest mounts, like the GoPro Chestie, have ample padding and a metal plate that could actually prove protective?
I can't imagine a chest mount would be in the least bit comfortable for me, no more padding required :whistle:

I frankly wouldn't be 100% trustful of a helmet mount actually disengaging in each and every situation (similar to alleged quick release stays on mudguards DAMHIKT)....ymmv though so carry on if happy :okay:

OP
OP
E

Etern4l

I can't imagine a chest mount would be in the least bit comfortable for me, no more padding required :whistle:

I frankly wouldn't be 100% trustful of a helmet mount actually disengaging in each and every situation (similar to alleged quick release stays on mudguards DAMHIKT)....ymmv though so carry on if happy :okay:

The helmet is a Bell Sixer, reasonable kit. I'm more concerned about losing the camera on the slightest of impacts/snags than about the mount failing to disengage. Looking at the design, I would only be worried about forces close to perpendicular to the mounting surface. Probably unlikely in practice, and if such force was to be apllied, I would have other things to worry about (and probably not for much longer).

OP
OP
E

Etern4l

Initial impressions with GoPro streaming (to GoPro servers for now), are not great. Pretty cool when it works, but drops the feed unexpectedly, and sometimes it has trouble getting started at all. Not impressed with this aspect of the device. Battery life is fine, no overheating whatsoever.

ianbarton

Veteran
Initial impressions with GoPro streaming (to GoPro servers for now), are not great. Pretty cool when it works, but drops the feed unexpectedly, and sometimes it has trouble getting started at all. Not impressed with this aspect of the device. Battery life is fine, no overheating whatsoever.
It's worth looking at YouTube. My account allows it, although I have never tried it. I definitely don't have 1000 subscribers.

For more details see:
https://clicklikethis.com/gopro-live-stream/

OP
OP
E

Etern4l

Actually, it seems that the disruption might have been caused by not keeping the app open in the foreground (which is a bit annoying if one wants to have something else on). Not a deal-breaker, but would be good to figure out how to get this to work in background.

OP
OP
E

Etern4l

Quick update: GoPro issued a firmware update which seems to have resolved WiFi connection and streaming instability live issues. Nice.

Reactions: mjr

ianbarton

Veteran
Quick update: GoPro issued a firmware update which seems to have resolved WiFi connection and streaming instability live issues. Nice.
Good news!

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Glad you got a good firmware update.

That is exactly what I have been wanting to avoid. I don't deem road cycling in London and presumably other major cities safe, no matter what some people say. The statistics speak for themselves, and there are just too many more or less horrible anecdotes around.
There are horrible anecdotes around, but the statistics speak for themselves: cycling is relatively safe, even in London, and you're far more at risk of injury or death while gardening, playing football or playing tennis (for the same time). Of course, the biggest killers by far are inactivity-related illnesses.

OP
OP
E

Etern4l

Glad you got a good firmware update.

There are horrible anecdotes around, but the statistics speak for themselves: cycling is relatively safe, even in London, and you're far more at risk of injury or death while gardening, playing football or playing tennis (for the same time). Of course, the biggest killers by far are inactivity-related illnesses.

I am not even going go ask for the source of that data, because even if that is reasonable, in aggregate these are not very useful to the individual.
I will also refrain from commenting on the gardening injury risk, however, cycling safety must be significantly dependent on route selection. I would expect the survival curve of people cycling through dodgy urban areas at night to be quite different to those cycling through, by way of a contrasting example, daylit and presumably quite secure Central London parks.

Top Bottom