liver & onions

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

buggi

Bird Saviour
i never saw the point of eating liver or kidneys. are these not the organs that sort out the nasty stuff from your body? why would you eat them? yuk.

buggi said:
i never saw the point of eating liver or kidneys. are these not the organs that sort out the nasty stuff from your body? why would you eat them? yuk.

If you are a restaurant critic you eat them to show off. For example, the local morning paper sends its reporters to the local restaurants and they report as follows:

"We went to the Star of India restaurant and all had steak and chips. We had to send the Blue Nun back because it was too dry............"

Whereas the critic in a broadsheet will report:

"Gaston personally selects the finest kidneys from rare breed Gloucester Old Spot pigs and just sears them in lamphrey oil before serving them rare and dripping with just a pecorino salsa..................."

I had sweetbreads (no, don't ask) at Tyddyn Llyn which is rated the 17th best restaurant in the UK, and they were ok, but nothing special. The veal cheek was out of this world however.:biggrin:

simoncc

Liver and onions in gravy is one of my favourite dishes. So is tripe and onions in parsley sauce, with mashed potatoes. Better than bland, tasteless chicken breasts any day.

wafflycat

Lambs' liver, sliced, cooked so still tender... bacon... onions... braised red cabbage with apple... creamy mashed potatoes. Food of the gods. YUM.

However, tonight is curry night!

redcogs

Guru
Whether you eat liver or not often depends on your social class background. Decent working class folk always ate liver because it was a relatively cheap protein source.

Posh middle claaass types could afford to indulge their little Cuthberts and Jemimas with sirloin.

Don't feel guilty if you have such origins - it aint yur fault.:biggrin:;):biggrin:

papercorn2000

simoncc said:
Liver and onions in gravy is one of my favourite dishes. So is tripe and onions in parsley sauce, with mashed potatoes. Better than bland, tasteless chicken breasts any day.

Well, **** me, simoncc's a gourmet!

Slight diversion but does anyone want to admit to liking cow heel?
Alongside tripe, liver and kidneys, my dad, who was a child in the war, actually likes slurping on a casserole of gelatenous gack with bits of toe and bone in it.

Just the thought of it is making me feel gippy.

redcogs said:
Whether you eat liver or not often depends on your social class background. Decent working class folk always ate liver because it was a relatively cheap protein source.

Posh middle claaass types could afford to indulge their little Cuthberts and Jemimas with sirloin.

Don't feel guilty if you have such origins - it aint yur fault.:biggrin:;):biggrin:

Hang on - I was brought up on tripe and liver in a flat in Melton Mowbray. And we were middle class. :biggrin:

wafflycat

Of offal, I like kidneys and liver and that's about it. Never did like tripe, heart, brains... various extremities of various beasties... yuk.

Mind you, in a Chinese restaurant have had sliced bull's testicles and they were quite tasty.

Mr Celine

Discordian
Patrick Stevens said:
I had sweetbreads (no, don't ask) at Tyddyn Llyn which is rated the 17th best restaurant in the UK, and they were ok, but nothing special. The veal cheek was out of this world however.:biggrin:

Is that near Corwen? I was put up at a similar sounding hotel for a cousin's wedding a few years ago but unfortunately only had breakfast.

On holiday in France I once thought I had ordered veal, which you never see in restaurants up here, and had eaten half of it before I began to wonder what I was eating. It looked a bit like brains (this was at the height of the BSE scares in the UK) but was delicious so I scoffed the lot anyway. I was (slightly) relieved to later discover that ris de veaux was from the other end of the beast.

Top Bottom