Liverpool Chester Liverpool 2021

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

chqshaitan

Guru
Hi guys,

Anyone doing this ride in July? I am doing the 50 miler from Birkenhead tunnel to Chester return and was wondering if there are regular stop points to top up water and likes as I am planning on what i need to take.

Cheers

From the website, which you must have read.....

The ride starts at the historic Old Haymarket on the Liverpool side of the Birkenhead (Queensway) Tunnel and allows you to cycle traffic-free right up to the toll booths in Birkenhead. The route loops through North Cheshire, with the opportunity to stop at the Countess of Chester Health Park where cyclists can enjoy a lively atmosphere and a variety of services, refreshments, and entertainment. The route take cyclists back through the tunnel, to the finish festival village at Exchange Flags.

If that's not enough there are plenty shops and petrol stations on the route. But if you can't ride 25 miles before you need food and drink them maybe you should be on one of the shorter routes.

In the distant past there was a stop at Thurstaton / Wirral rugby club which is about 1/2 way on one leg as well as the Chester stop. Theres a wide variety of abilities and ages that do it, so even with any covid mods, there should be enough water etc provided.

si_c

Guru
Lots of shops on the route except once onto the Burton marshes about 20miles in, then five miles or so to the countess control. Lots on the way back too, nice and flat route, doubt you'll need more than two bottles and a flapjack or two for the full route. It's a fairly slow paced sportive as lots of younger and inexperienced riders do it.

Everyone generally goes into the cafes and pubs along the route, but it's only an easy pootle so just get some refreshments at Chester.
This one day sets Merseyside cycling back hugely, often five/six abreast and into second lane even when that's the opposite carriageway! seems almost compulsory, it is beyond belief how poor the standard of riding is, lots of gung ho idiots and just as many clueless...
The day of the LCL is a day to stay off your bike, and the afflicted roads in a car, oh and merseyrail gets a bit interesting.
I did it way back and it was through both tunnels (old BK bendy one out, straight new one back) and that bit was great, the rest a bit meh, but the riding standard was just so depressing and so dangerous to others (bikes and peds) I'd never do it again.

Interesting that the 75 mile route is now only one way. Make your own way back. Merseyrail will be heaving, and the tunnel prioity for cyclists ends early afternoon, thereafter you have to go through with the rest of the traffic - and the polution is horrendous.

dodgy

And a good old game of human skittles with the novices on rusty bikes as you enter the tunnel! Make sure you keep your distance from such people. I haven't done this ride in quite a few years, good to see they've clarified the charitable status of the ride. Think you have to pledge to raise money now? Plenty of water available from churches along the route, and as Martin says, they used to have a water stop at Wirral Rugby Club near Willaston / Raby.

LCL has always been a charity wrapped sportive type event, the only real money raised is from riders pledges.
For beginners biting off more than they can chew the routes aren't great with some niggly little inclines [*]
Using Parkgate Rd into, and Liverpool Rd out of Chester? are they closed/coned off?

[*] Riveacre at 33, and Rest Hill at 43 on the 50 is just mean.
Yeld Lane 57 on the 75 will make itself known.
Yeld Lane is still at 57 on the 100, but now Red Hill is at 93, now that will be ouchy.

OP should bear in mind the proposed date. 4 July. We are likely to still be in lockdown then.

si_c

Guru
LCL has always been a charity wrapped sportive type event, the only real money raised is from riders pledges.
For beginners biting off more than they can chew the routes aren't great with some niggly little inclines [*]
Using Parkgate Rd into, and Liverpool Rd out of Chester? are they closed/coned off?

[*] Riveacre at 33, and Rest Hill at 43 on the 50 is just mean.
Yeld Lane 57 on the 75 will make itself known.
Yeld Lane is still at 57 on the 100, but now Red Hill is at 93, now that will be ouchy.
Rivacre isn't too bad, nice fast descent before hand gets you most of the way up, red hill is a bit steep, but if you've got non stupid gears manageable.

dodgy

Rivacre isn't too bad, nice fast descent before hand gets you most of the way up,

A perfect place for a novice to overcook the bend at the bottom whilst trying to maintain as much momentum to get up the other side. Especially if he/she is following more experienced riders who make it look easy.

Onthedrops

Veteran
Did it today and couldn't have been luckier with the weather.
Overcast on the start line at 08:00 but after the brief stop at Chester we had glorious sunshine all the way back. :sun:
Pretty well organised event even if there were some blatantly dangerous riders on it.
Pretty much a flat route (by Yorkshire standards!) but enjoyable none the less.

Everyone generally goes into the cafes and pubs along the route, but it's only an easy pootle so just get some refreshments at Chester.
This one day sets Merseyside cycling back hugely, often five/six abreast and into second lane even when that's the opposite carriageway! seems almost compulsory, it is beyond belief how poor the standard of riding is, lots of gung ho idiots and just as many clueless...
The day of the LCL is a day to stay off your bike, and the afflicted roads in a car, oh and merseyrail gets a bit interesting.
I did it way back and it was through both tunnels (old BK bendy one out, straight new one back) and that bit was great, the rest a bit meh, but the riding standard was just so depressing and so dangerous to others (bikes and peds) I'd never do it again.
I've done it two or three times and was no more dangerous than any other sportive.
Nowadays we will normally avoid the route a bit as it gets tiring saying hello to everyone.
Bumped into it a couple of times today and everyone seemed to be having fun. Weather seemed much better than forecast too.

Top Bottom