Liverpool - Chester today

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Chislenko

Chislenko

Veteran
Damn. Didn't know it was on. Would have had a go if I'd known about it.
Apparently the tunnel is a bit steep on a bike, or so I'm told.

Saw no publicity for it this year at all. The polar opposite to last week on Anglesey, there were big banners everywhere encouraging people to enter the Tour De Môn.

As you say the tunnel looks a bit steep as you leave it.

The good thing about today as well it would have been a tail wind all the way!

Bumped into it yesterday - I think there's a few distances and routes you can choose.

We did do it once a few years ago but it's a pain getting back from Liverpool when you finish.

Actually we must have done it a few times but don't bother with going back to Liverpool as it's not worth the hassle.

The long route was good the year we did it - round Delamere and some climbs that we've still not found again !

The tunnel is a climb of about a mile or so. Funny how you don't really notice it in the car.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Chislenko

Chislenko

Veteran
Bumped into it yesterday - I think there's a few distances and routes you can choose.

We did do it once a few years ago but it's a pain getting back from Liverpool when you finish.

Actually we must have done it a few times but don't bother with going back to Liverpool as it's not worth the hassle.

The long route was good the year we did it - round Delamere and some climbs that we've still not found again !

The tunnel is a climb of about a mile or so. Funny how you don't really notice it in the car.

The 75 miler looked ok yesterday, no need to go back to Liverpool.

Liverpool to Chester Football Club then off round Frodsham / Delamere way and finish back at the Football Club.

Some people are saying it's the biggest crowd they have had in years 😊

https://liverpoolchesterliverpool.com/routes/75-mile-liverpool/

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Saw no publicity for it this year at all. The polar opposite to last week on Anglesey, there were big banners everywhere encouraging people to enter the Tour De Môn.

As you say the tunnel looks a bit steep as you leave it.

The good thing about today as well it would have been a tail wind all the way!

Tour Du Mon looks good, but registering the day before in Hollyhead - why ? I could travel from the caravan, but I'm not doing two trips to register - very un-environmentally friendly.

OP
OP
Chislenko

Chislenko

Veteran
Tour Du Mon looks good, but registering the day before in Hollyhead - why ? I could travel from the caravan, but I'm not doing two trips to register - very un-environmentally friendly.

Can you not register on line fossy or does it have to be in person.

Looks a lot of up and down on the road that goes round the island so looks a good test.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Can you not register on line fossy or does it have to be in person.

Looks a lot of up and down on the road that goes round the island so looks a good test.

Might drop them an email. Would fancy the long route - I know most of the coast roads as we're regular visitors to Anglesey and it's up and down, all day, very few flat sections. Not so sure I'd ride some of the roads by myself as they are very busy !

Those of us who live north of the Mersey have to go back. Route choices are funny so might have to do the 50 miler then ride home after to get a suitable distance in.
That's next year's problem.

Going back to Liverpool is easy as the tunnel is open for cyclists. It's the coming back again that was the issue - didn't fancy the underground in cleats and the ferry wasn't on. I think we dived back into the bike tunnel when they weren't looking.

Birkenhead Conway Park has bike sized lifts to platform (Hamilton Square only goes to bridge level), James Street is also big lift only from bridge level, so Hammy and Jimmy need the bike upending in a small lift, or carried up a flight of steps.

Liverpool Chester bike ride will feature in local press about how many rode 6 (or more) abreast and ignored all road laws, I see it most years if I stay walking locally (I'm not getting tarred withe same brush). I've ridden once (both tunnels in a day!) and seen the idiots doing dangerously stupid things, on Chester Liverpool it is in fact dangerous to stop at a just changing red light as you'll get rear ended.

I did the CTC Tri-Vet 100 instead, well away from the numpties!

Top Bottom