Liverpool .... North or West

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ghene

hi

Am a 60-year old Dutch road cyclist who is planning a week biking with my 25-year old daughter. We were initially wanting to cycle from Liverpool to the highest peaks of England and Wales - about 400 miles in between. However now thinking this would be a bit long with hiking the peaks as well. Now thinking to go either north to Lake District and climb Scafell Peak or go west to Wales and climb Snowdon (I think it’s called). We want to stay off busy roads (cycle tracks only preferable) and cycle about 250-300 miles.

Would be keen to learn what would be best .. north or west.. and receive route suggestions!

Globalti

Legendary Member
Welcome! You will love cycling in England as long as you stay off busy roads as we have almost no special infrastructure for cyclists beyond the Sustrans route network. Bear in mind that England is windy so it would be good to plan your trip heading in a north-easterly direction with the prevailing winds. Be aware also that we have bicycle thieves so you need to plan the trip around secure storage for your bikes and possessions.

You will love north Wales and the Lakes, both have their own unique character.

si_c

Guru
hi

Am a 60-year old Dutch road cyclist who is planning a week biking with my 25-year old daughter. We were initially wanting to cycle from Liverpool to the highest peaks of England and Wales - about 400 miles in between. However now thinking this would be a bit long with hiking the peaks as well. Now thinking to go either north to Lake District and climb Scafell Peak or go west to Wales and climb Snowdon (I think it’s called). We want to stay off busy roads (cycle tracks only preferable) and cycle about 250-300 miles.

Would be keen to learn what would be best .. north or west.. and receive route suggestions!
Snowdon is easily doable from Liverpool, its about 150km. Some cycle routes in between, and lots of quieter routes, but you can't avoid busy roads once in Snowdonia. Not dangerous, but lots of holiday traffic especially at weekends.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
hi

I live in Chorley which is approximately midway between Liverpool and the Lakes. I've ridden to both areas from my home on several occasions.

You will find it difficult to use cycle paths or tracks from Liverpool to the Lakes. My advice would be to take the train to Morecambe. From here you will be able to take quiet lanes and roads to the Lakes and will find plenty of quiet roads to cycle along in the Lake District.

When we ride to the Lakes we often use busy roads but we start at 5.30/6.00am when everyone else is still sleeping!!!

Globalti

Legendary Member
Morecambe? That means the poor folk will have to ride past miles of derelict shops and hotels on some of the worst tarmac in England. Stay on the train to Carnforth, get off and pretend you are in the film Brief Encounter then ride straight into lovely Silverdale and Arnside.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
Re Morecambe I know what you mean but once clear of the main road north one is down in to lanes for Arnside, Silverdale and then in to the Lakes proper. Alternatively there is the Bay Cycleway which is a good ride over to Barrow from where one can turn up in to the Lakes.

Top Bottom