Livestrong banned

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

thom

____
Cancer awareness is a pretty important part of the jigsaw too - over the last couple of decades breast cancer screening and self checking has helped many women get treatment early enough for it to be effective and men have lagged a bit behind in awareness and/or have a reluctance to go to the doctors about such things. It is easy to be flippant and dismissive but increased awareness is still needed as well as the funding of research and care.
You are right. Is this the actual raison d'être of Livestrong campaigning in reality ? I don't live in the US so have no idea if you get tv ads with LA talking about self examination for example. It's not like you can say, go to your GP or NHS professional to get it checked out in the same way as we can with the NHS. In fact, I wonder how much the role the foundation plays in the US is obviated in the UK by the presence of the NHS.

screenman

Legendary Member
zizou, thom, thank you. Many people have been saved from this awful thing by being made more aware. Only the totally insane would say it is not a good thing.

thom

____
zizou, thom, thank you. Many people have been saved from this awful thing by being made more aware. Only the totally insane would say it is not a good thing.
I stand by my pun.
Only the totally insane would say that Lance Livewrong's personal cycling legacy is a good thing.
And I think you are ignoring some valid points made about that organisation.

I've always wondered that myself.....how it would be possible to raise 'awareness' of something which is already the world's most deadly disease..??

You have a few "waterworks problems". a little hesitancy, a little dribble at the end, but what the hell you are in your late 50's, early 60's and you expect these things.

So you don't see a doctor, then you get a bit of back pain and start to lose weight

Then you realise that the Prostate Cancer that could have so easily been treated two years ago hasinfiltrated your bones, andis now too advanced to treat or control

We see this every single day.

Awareness of cancer is why we have such an appalling record. Once the cancer is diagnosed we are as good as anybody else in the world, but the British simply are unaware so the diagnosis tends to be late, hence the higher mortality than other countries.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
You have a few "waterworks problems". a little hesitancy, a little dribble at the end, but what the hell you are in your late 50's, early 60's and you expect these things.

So you don't see a doctor, then you get a bit of back pain and start to lose weight

Then you realise that the Prostate Cancer that could have so easily been treated two years ago hasinfiltrated your bones, andis now too advanced to treat or control

Awareness of cancer is why we have such an appalling record. Once the cancer is diagnosed we are as good as anybody else in the world, but the British simply are unaware so the diagnosis tends to be late, hence the higher mortality than other countries.

Exactly the story of my F-I-L.
We told him time and time again to go to the docs, but he didn't. Silly old sod.

Exactly the story of my F-I-L.
We told him time and time again to go to the docs, but he didn't. Silly old sod.

And Steve Jobs. Left the symptoms and although he had a rare treatable form of pancreatic cancer, by the time he did something about it it had metastasised to his liver and was too late. And while breast cancer now has a high profile in women thanks to awareness raising programmes the awareness of prostate cancer in men is woefully low still.

But hey, anyone and anything is fair game in the we hate Lance game.

DogTired

Über Member

If I paint your house for 1000000 quid is that a good thing? Might it have been better to call the organisation "Cancer awareness" rather than "Livestrong"? What is it about - Armstrong or cancer?

You have to make a judgement call about what good has really come about as opposed to the rotten false lying core. Its pretty clear now the facts are coming out where the informed opinion lies. I'm not sure a feeling of kinship through fellow cancer suffering is a sound basis for supporting Armstrong.

OP
OP
rich p

rich p

ridiculous old lush

So Armstrong's selfless promotion hasn't worked then, while he's been filling his pockets?

You just don't get it Red Light do you?
Is that really a side view of your own brain?

Donations to Livestrong shooting up, sponsors lining up to state their support including Anheuser-Busch, Nike and Oakley. The KC Livestrong Park in Kansas saying they will not be changing their name (with which comes $7.5m p.a. donation to Livestrong). I'm wondering just who doesn't get it.

And of course its a side view of my brain just like you are a convicted comedy criminal. Nobber!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom