Livestrong wrist band

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I was just looking at the Ride for the Roses event on the Livestrong website and the entry costs do go up to $30,000 which would match C$35,000 for Banff. However at that level it includes your airfares, your hotel costs for three nights, your transportations, a dinner and a load of other stuff. I can quite see that in such circumstances there would be a chunk of money that does not attract charitable tax allowances that covers all those running costs with the remainder being passed on as a charitable donation and being given a certificate for the donation part for filing with your IRS return (remember in the US - don't know about Canada - the donor reclaims the tax credit not the charity)
http://www.livestrong.org/take-action/team-livestrong-events/ride-for-the-roses-weekend

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
Seems to me that Livestrong wrist bands made the wearer feel better about themselves. And I can say categorically - as a cancer survivor - that seeing other people wear a yellow piece of plastic never had any effect on my sense of wellbeing.
I have a Christie Hospital badge on my Carradice because they were brilliant when Mrs Monkey had cancer and was under their care.

I'm not sure it makes me feel any way about myself particularly, but I hope it's seen as some small token of appreciation and support for them. I think it's possible that the Livestrong bands, gear &c have that kind of connection (or a closer connection) for the people that wear them, and that's why I feel a bit uneasy about generalised adverse comment (on the people wearing them, not on Armstrong himself).

There was another story on here about one poster berating someone he came across for daring o ride a TRek racing bicycle.

One hopes it was apocryphal, but given the almost rabid state of some posters on here I do worry.

There was another story on here about one poster berating someone he came across for daring o ride a TRek racing bicycle.

One hopes it was apocryphal, but given the almost rabid state of some posters on here I do worry.
Really? You 'worry' about the the possibility that someone might berate a Trek bicycle owner because of Lance Armstrong's cheating.

I find that very hard to believe. I mean; as if.

Grendel

Veteran
All too true I'm afraid, but if we only ever gave to causes that were 100% squeeky, then we'd be waiting a long time. Some money is better than no money, but H4H at least doesn't bankroll a millionaire cheat!!!!
Some of my mates go on a H4H cycle run each year through France to raise money for that charity. A large chunk of what they raise FOR CHARITY pays their food/accomodation/trip support. A large amount of people doing these charity events are actually having jolly days out paid for by money given to help people who need it. It's not getting there.
If you want to give money to charity, give it directly.
back to Lance Armstrong, my local JJB is closing down and they have 50% off everything. I spotted some of his Livestrong gear in the sale, and thought that even with 50% off it would struggle to sell. 1, it's now "tainted", 2, the pattern was a bit crap.

Spinney

Bimbleur extraordinaire
And every week cyclists are going off on charity rides or even donor paid for charity cycling holidays in exotic parts of the world with most of the money being creamed off by the organisers (or paying for the cyclist's holiday)

I never sponsor people doing these kinds of things - let them pay for their own holidays.

I never sponsor people doing these kinds of things - let them pay for their own holidays.

I was approached by one group who were doing a LEJOG.

There were two cyclists, their wives in a van as support team and they were planning a fourteen day trip.

They worked out their expenses at £450 per day for hire, meals and accommodation, and were fully intending to reclaim all of this prior to donating anything to charity.

jdtate101

Ex-Fatman
I spotted some of his Livestrong gear in the sale, and thought that even with 50% off it would struggle to sell. 1, it's now "tainted", 2, the pattern was a bit crap.

I always thought the latest incarnation was a bit naff, too busy and just wrong.

Grendel

Veteran
I was approached by one group who were doing a LEJOG.

There were two cyclists, their wives in a van as support team and they were planning a fourteen day trip.

They worked out their expenses at £450 per day for hire, meals and accommodation, and were fully intending to reclaim all of this prior to donating anything to charity.
Wow. How "charitable" of them...:cursing:

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
Does anyone else see some bargain kit appearing on sale shortly? ^_^

I bet they put all the cheap Armstrong gear on the market just before Christmas and thats what all your wives and girlfriends will get you. They won`t know whats going on with Armstrong. You will all be too afraid to tell them to return the gear and next year every second rider will be dressed up like Lance Armstrong. ^_^

I had to throw away my yellow wristband, my Jim Fixed it for me medal and my green beret this week (The marines made him an honarary marine), maybe they knew something we didn`t know. :laugh:

As I have said before it has been happening in Portsmouth for ages.

The Nike outlet at Gunwharf often has this on sale, and at £10 - £15 for the BibShorts they are jolly good value.

D

Deleted member 20519

Off topic but kind of on topic, is Livestrong pronounced as L-aye-v strong or L-iv-strong?

thom

____
To come back to that story from Gary Leach in Canada, there's some good writing by Selena Roberts, The Influence Peddlar here that mentions a few aspects of the financial relationships between LA and Livestrong. It's some of the best writing I've seen on this.

Top Bottom