Living in a Fantasy World

Who lives in a Fantasy World?

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Wobblers

Euthermic
Duty has increased at a greater rate than inflation and vat increased to 20%. Must be a dream world you live in :laugh:

I trust you can read:

We have cheaper petrol than Denmark, Italy, Germany, the Netherlands, Norway and Sweden and are within 1 euro cent of France. We have cheaper diesel than Italy and Norway. Source

Tax take has fallen as a percentage of fuel from around 80% at 91p/l to around 60% at 140p/l and did not go up in the budget.

Who's living in the fantasy world?

Now let's see how well you do with the "comprehension" bit.

snorri

Legendary Member
Duty has increased at a greater rate than inflation and vat increased to 20%. Must be a dream world you live in :laugh:
No one is in a dream world, it's just that there are different views as to how we get through this period of dwindling resources. I think it's better to have government policies gradually wean us off our demand for oil thus giving us time to adjust to the inevitable. It seems to me the alternative is to have sudden and unplanned fuel shortages in future, as limited supplies fail to get through on time.
Regardless of taxation, fuel costs are bound to increase as easily obtainable sources dry up. The measures to extract the last drops of oil from North Sea fields are clear for all to see as extraction methods become increasingly complex using pipes of ever decreasing diameter.
Some of the people not showing concern for rising fuel prices today may be the same people who simply want to have fuel to power their cars in later life!

OP
OP
P

Paul J

I trust you can read: Now let's see how well you do with the "comprehension" bit.

Yes very well actually just don't beleive EVERYTHING I read :laugh:

Ever heard of the Fuel Price Escalator (introduced in 1993 I think) 3% above inflation and then increased to 5%? Or VAT increasing adding 2.5%. The FPE has only just been dropped in the 2012 budget.

Stupid is as a stupid does me thinks :tongue::laugh:

OP
OP
P

Paul J

Regardless of taxation, fuel costs are bound to increase as easily obtainable sources dry up. The measures to extract the last drops of oil from North Sea fields are clear for all to see as extraction methods become increasingly complex using pipes of ever decreasing diameter.
Some of the people not showing concern for rising fuel prices today may be the same people who simply want to have fuel to power their cars in later life!

Your missing the point. I would agree with price increases IF it was due to extraction and the oil companies charged more for oil due to rising overheads. Problem is is the LARGE chunk the government wants to add and for what?

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
Build your own feckin' roads then, and keep the hell off mine!!
:biggrin:
Seriously, what should we cut spending on, and who should be taxed instead of you?

OP
OP
P

Paul J

Build your own feckin' roads then, and keep the hell off mine!!
:biggrin:
Seriously, what should we cut spending on, and who should be taxed instead of you?

You live on the planet Zog :tongue:

When you rephrase your comment as after all it's about fuelcosts then It may warrant an answer.

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
FFS. I really can't be arsed with this.

Your missing the point. I would agree with price increases IF it was due to extraction and the oil companies charged more for oil due to rising overheads. Problem is is the LARGE chunk the government wants to add and for what?
So let's put your point in a nutshell - the government in your view should severely reduce the taxes on fuel, so we can all use up what little is left even faster.
And you have the temerity to make silly comments about people living on another planet, just because they take a slightly longer and broader view of the subject?
You didn't win any sympathy for your personal pocket by whinging. May I respectfully suggest that your later contributions are even less likely to garner converts.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
The government still has a need to raise the money somehow ... (not for roads I mean but in general), so if it isn't via fuel it will need to be something else - we could introduce the fat tax on unhealthy foods. However fuel tax does have the added bonus of reducing usage of the limited supply.

Your poll doesn't allow for:
I live in the Real World where I use my car some of the time and fuel increases are wrong.I live in a Fantasy World motor vehicles should be banned and fuel increases are justified

OP
OP
P

Paul J

You didn't win any sympathy for your personal pocket by whinging.

I don't want or need your patronising sympathy. What I and others can do without is being told that fuel should be increased (with tax/duty) just because it fits in with the few that do not need or want to use a car.

mcshroom

Bionic Subsonic
So you decided to have a whinge in two different threads and ignore anyone who didn't agree exactly with your own personal viewpoint. I'm still unsure you understand how a forum works.

Oh, and as I mentioned before, the duty did not go up in the budget, there was no change to the duty, and as the price of the product itself is rising the % cost is actually falling. Still, doesn't fit with your dogma so I assume I also live on this other planet. I just believe you have lost the ability to tell your own fantasies from the reality.

I don't want or need your patronising sympathy. What I and others can do without is being told that fuel should be increased (with tax/duty) just because it fits in with the few that do not need or want to use a car.
What I and others can do without is your myopic conviction that the whole b****y world revolves around you and your precious petrol tank.

Top Bottom