Living in a Fantasy World

Who lives in a Fantasy World?

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Paul J

Who lives in a fantasy World?

Prompted by the Numties that think that fuel increases are justified and anyone who uses a car etc is route of all evil.

Thread here

mcshroom

Bionic Subsonic
You didn't actually read that thread, did you?

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
Spelling and grammar, dear boy.
It's the difference between knowing your shoot and knowing you're shoot.

As fuel becomes scarcer, the cost goes up. That's simple economics. You can complain all you like about it being 'wrong', but that's how it works. If we were running short of broccoli, the price of that would go up. Same logic applies with oil.

OP
OP
P

Paul J

As fuel becomes scarcer, the cost goes up. That's simple economics.

Fuel increases are due to an increase of tax and duty not due to it being scarcer. IF it was due to a shortage of fuel that would be fine. Your reasoning for the increased rise in the cost of fuel is incorrect. It is our government wanting to have a larger share by increasing DUTY & TAXES hence why we have the dearest fuel in Europe I believe

mcshroom

Bionic Subsonic
We have cheaper petrol than Denmark, Italy, Germany, the Netherlands, Norway and Sweden and are within 1 euro cent of France. We have cheaper diesel than Italy and Norway. Source

Tax take has fallen as a percentage of fuel from around 80% at 91p/l to around 60% at 140p/l and did not go up in the budget.

Who's living in the fantasy world?

Although the vast majority of the cost of a litre of fuel is tax & duty, I must have missed the Government hiking those up massively in recent months. :tongue:

The recent increases in fuel costs are due to the price of oil going up due to concerns about supply, bearing in mind the situation with Iran.

If you want to have a rant, rant about the speculators and the Iranian Government.

mcshroom

Bionic Subsonic
Vast majority is probably stating it to highly. According to the ABD, at 139.9p/l the tax made up 58% of the fuel price. Source

Scilly Suffolk

Über Member
Excuse me: exactly what research is being conducted here?

I do not subscribe to certain of CycleChat's forums because I am not interested in this sort of petty rant.

You have ample opportunity to make your arguments elsewhere.

Wobblers

Euthermic
Fuel increases are due to an increase of tax and duty not due to it being scarcer. IF it was due to a shortage of fuel that would be fine. Your reasoning for the increased rise in the cost of fuel is incorrect. It is our government wanting to have a larger share by increasing DUTY & TAXES hence why we have the dearest fuel in Europe I believe

Oil production is falling at the same time that demand from India and China, in particular, is rising. Tax has not increased on fuel, in fact the proportion of tax has fallen.

So what was it about you were saying about living "in the real world"?

OP
OP
P

Paul J

Oil production is falling at the same time that demand from India and China, in particular, is rising. Tax has not increased on fuel, in fact the proportion of tax has fallen.

So what was it about you were saying about living "in the real world"?

Duty has increased at a greater rate than inflation and vat increased to 20%. Must be a dream world you live in :laugh:

Top Bottom