Living in a vehicle full time... serious replies please :)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
The 'where you keep your car/ registered address' for insurance thing, is a slightly different matter.

But I don't suppose your mate is going to make a claim for his car being nicked off of the driveway of his poste restanre address, if he was nowhere near there at the time..
As several people have explained. the InsCos care A LOT about you misleading them, especially if it comes to making a claim.

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
As several people have explained. the InsCos care A LOT about you misleading them, especially if it comes to making a claim.

Yup I'm sure that's the case.

Another incentive to drive as little as possible, and when you do, do it reeeely carefully I guess. :okay:

What about a static caravan ? More expensive but people do live there year round. Well almost as I think you need to be out for a couple of weeks per year or else you have some kind of right to live there forever. Or did anyway.

Must be lots of holiday parks empty at the moment.

OP
OP
MontyVeda

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
When he's driving it, he's driving it..

Unless he's still making his breakfast whilst driving.

In which case I think that comes under 'driving without due care and attention'

As an offence - and not OK ever, wherever you happen to sleep.

I don't think having a whole bunch of old clothes, and some food in your boot invalidates your insurance.

... If it does, I'm in big trouble.. :blush:

The 'where you keep your car/ registered address' for insurance thing, is a slightly different matter.

But I don't suppose your mate is going to make a claim for his car being nicked off of the driveway of his poste restanre address, if he was nowhere near there at the time..
The questions regarding insurance were about whether his insurance covers him living in the car. i.e. would he need to insure it as motorhome or something?

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
The questions regarding insurance were about whether his insurance covers him living in the car. i.e. would he need to insure it as motorhome or something?

No I don't think you can register a car as a live in vehicle.

That comes under another classification, and certain criteria around fixtures and fittings must be met.

It's an interesting question, I'm going to ask my friends who do live in vans that they also drive around what their insurance position is, regarding all this.

D

Deleted member 26715

Son & lady friend did it for 3 months in New Zealand in a Honda estate, but it's completely different scenario over there, just about every town has toilet, shower, fresh water facilities.

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
Son & lady friend did it for 3 months in New Zealand in a Honda estate, but it's completely different scenario over there, just about every town has toilet, shower, fresh water facilities.

Yes..

Where you do it will have a massive bearing on how easy it is.

Out here on the Mild West fringes, it's a fairly standard way of life
(van, not car living)

Because of a combination of general tolerance of more 'alternative' lifestyles, combined with a very high cost of, but scarcity of accomodation.

Second home owners, buy to let, well off commuters, and retirees all feed into that problem.

Brains

Legendary Member
No I don't think you can register a car as a live in vehicle.

That comes under another classification, and certain criteria around fixtures and fittings must be met.

It's an interesting question, I'm going to ask my friends who do live in vans that they also drive around what their insurance position is, regarding all this.

I think most of them will own a van, they just happen to be transporting some furniture around, one bed, a table, a stove a bit of clothing etc.

Convincing the DVLA that what was a van and is now a motorhome or campervan is now notoriously difficult, and being made harder each year.
It is not just a case of sending in photos of the motorhome, complete with windows, shower, loo, kitchen, bed etc.
The DVLA now want it to have suitable decals on the outside.

Basically what the DVLA are trying to stop is 'stealth campers', vans that from a quick glance look like any other white van with a couple of extra windows. They want them to look, very obviously, inside and out like a Motorhome or a Campervan.

On the van conversion pages there are loads of discussions about this subject, even some of the recognised manufacturers have fallen foul of these new enforcement of the laws.

1610375543225.png
1610375441778.png

Guess which one of these Motorhomes is not a Motorhome ?

Answer:
The Black one, as it's black, it does not have an awning and it does not have 'suitable decals'
(Therefore for the UK market, black is not available and the awning is not an optional extra)

Edit:
I see Hymer now have the following text on their English language site
HYMER ML-T 570 4x4 Crossover
The HYMER ML-T 570 4×4 is a special edition model with comprehensive “Crossover” package including exterior graphics and a range of factory fitted options aiming to increase your off grid potential

Last edited:

Profpointy

Legendary Member

Maybe I've misread your point, but insurance is to cover you if you have an accident and someone else claims against you. Having a valid address is a problem in getting insured in the first place, whether you are "living in the car" or staying in the Ritz. Not having a proper address could puts you in the "too hard" basket, or have to manually work out an (expensive) deal. If you live in a leafy suburb, or for that matter the rough end of Brixton (which I understand is gentrified these days anyway) the computer spits out a premium and that's that. Anyhow the insurance isn't covering him for the act of living in the car, any more than my car insurance is covering me for sleeping in my car if I'm on a trip; I'm only covered for driving it or the car getting nicked

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
Might not be suitable/desirable for your friend but this looks like a cheapish, practical and cosy solution.

View attachment 568426

Always looks lovely doesn't it, set against the mountain backdrop.

I'd imagine that would be totally uninsurable in UK

It's all got so meta nowadays that there is even a fb group which was set up by long term road dwellers called.

Unrepeatable, unrepeatable 'Van Lifers'

Basically poking fun at the whole overromanticising of a lifestyle which can, in the good moments be great, but doesn't come without its full quota of privations and limitations.

All the van dwellers I know, have at least a couple of mates who's houses they can go round for a shower / laptop charge / three course sit down meal now and then.

Top Bottom