Living in a vehicle full time... serious replies please :)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
Yes, saw that after I'd posted. Is that legal for driving licence and vehicle registration? I guess they just need an address where to find you when you hit&run or otherwise break a law. Some tricky questions to be answered regarding insurance though.

I think the idea is you don't do hit and run.

Brains

Legendary Member
A car is not suitable for more than a couple of nights emergency accommodation.
He will find it more comfortable, practical and warmer living in a tent.

If he is thinking long term then he needs a van, one you can stand up in.
It needs to be insulated and it needs some sort of heating and cooking system

However once he taps into the "FLT" * network, there are places to stay, which if they are public, you need to move on after a couple of nights.
It's not a particularly cheap way to live, and it's not an easy life.

Quite frankly, his best option would be to get a caravan and park up in a mates drive or back garden.

I had a mate who as a student living is a shared student house in Oxford, they had a guy doing PHD who lived in a caravan at the end of the garden, he had been there for at least 3 years and paid whomever the current residents were that year a small amount to use the loo/shower by the back door.

(* FLT = Freedom Loving Traveller/Free Loading Tosser depending on context and your point of view)

Gunk

Guru
Plenty of people live on boats (some small and some larger) near here. So living in a vehicle is perfectly possible - if it’s the right vehicle

You see scruffy boats moored up on the Thames in Oxford used as permanent accommodation, idyllic in the summer but I would think pretty miserable in the depths of winter.

Rocky

Hello decadence
You see scruffy boats moored up on the Thames in Oxford used as permanent accommodation, idyllic in the summer but I would think pretty miserable in the depths of winter.
That’s true - there’s all sorts along the canals. Some that are miserable and some with more luxury than I have at home. Living on a boat wouldn’t be for me and I’m not sure I’d live in a vehicle but it is perfectly possible

Good evening,

There are policies available for long term motor homing which have various permanent address requirements but they may also have have requirements for the vehicle that an estate car won't meet

Normal car insurance is not going to cover your friend as there is no Class Of Use for living in the car and as soon as a police officer gets interested they may phone the insurer to ask if the policy holder is covered.

The requirement for insurance also covers private land onto which the public are invited so as an example, being in a pub car park isn't enough to not need insurance, the car park would also need to be not available to the pub's customers.

Bye

Ian

houblon

However once he taps into the "FLT" * network, there are places to stay, which if they are public, you need to move on after a couple of nights.

Quite frankly, his best option would be to get a caravan and park up in a mates drive or back garden.

I had a mate who as a student living is a shared student house in Oxford, they had a guy doing PHD who lived in a caravan at the end of the garden, he had been there for at least 3 years and paid whomever the current residents were that year a small amount to use the loo/shower by the back door.

(* FLT = Freedom Loving Traveller/Free Loading Tosser depending on context and your point of view)

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=47T0HORY9gs

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
Living in an estate car in winter just sounds like a thoroughly miserable existence.:sad:

Yup.
Imagine having no other option.

I have friend who lives on a narrow boat, year round, on the less salubrious backwater there.

Ironically, She works for a homeless charity in the city..

Yes a woodburner, no I wouldn't fancy it..
Too..
Narrow :ohmy:

A friend of mine lives in Devon where he works on the land with farming (similar to mudsticks) and forestry/building/landscaping.
Since becoming single 4-5 years ago, he lives alone with his dog in a large and still mobile van. He has a simple hottish shower, toilet and even a woodburner inside.
He says it’s warm, cosy and practical. IIRC he’s parked up in one of his friend’s fields, who also happens to be the farmer and boss.
He’s looking to escape to Portugal but that may prove to be diffucult.
He’s fit, healthy and reasonably content but I doubt he’ll want to be living that way for much longer.

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine

Yes I'd definitely rather be in a tent than a car.

Like you say much warmer.

I've known a few folks overwinter in bell tents or yurts with a burner..
Quite cosy.

But a metal box with no heating, at this time of year is basically a fridge.

But if you haven't got a secure place to pitch a tent it's tricky...

Basically being insecurely housed isn't so great.

I know a few farmers, and landowners here and there who come to similar arrangements, as your student chap.

Trading Park up facilities for a few hours work here and there.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
Living in an estate car in winter just sounds like a thoroughly miserable existence.:sad:
A ski-nut friend of mine once drove out to Chamonix for a weeks skiing with the intention of living in his car in a car park by one of the main ski-lifts so he could get up the mountain before the queues. Fortunately, a French family took pity on him on the first night and asked him to stay with them. It helped that he was impossibly good-looking!
I think that the very minimum you need is enough space to lie flat, and a lot of warm clothes.

Top Bottom