Living with a peanut allergy

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
It seems i have become allergic to peanuts,had a peanut butter sandwich for
lunch yesterday and had real trouble swallowing and when i got home i spent an hour
on the toilet with severe colicky pains,spent the night in a strange mood thinking my end had come,
all symptoms of peanut allergy apparently.
I had some colicky pains the other week after eating some,thought that was a one off doesn't look like it was now.
Anybody know any foods that have peanuts in them that are best avoided??
or anyone lives with the condition that can offer any helpful hints

compo

Veteran
I once bought a jar of peanut butter from Tesco. On the jar was the usual warning "This product may contain nuts". That is true not a joke. However looking at the number of products with warnings on them that the manufacturers cannot guarantee them to be nut free I think you will have to be extra vigilant.

I once bought a jar of peanut butter from Tesco. On the jar was the usual warning "This product may contain nuts". That is true not a joke. However looking at the number of products with warnings on them that the manufacturers cannot guarantee them to be nut free I think you will have to be extra vigilant.
That is always funny to see but A friend is allergic to nuts but not peanuts which aren't nuts (still with me?). Anyhow such a warning on a peanut product could be important to him.

Drago

Legendary Member
I'm the opposite. Peanuts are fine, but hazelnuts, walnuts and almonds could kill me. While the symptoms are severe they creep up on me slowly so I carry tablets with me instead of an eppie pen.

I have to be moderately careful about what I eatcabdcwork have asked people not to bring nuts into the building I work in.

karl61

hi, my son has a nut allergy, in the end it all comes done to reading the ingredients list and using common sense.

OP
OP
Pennine-Paul

Pennine-Paul

Goth on a bike............
There goes your Chinese takeaway, all cooked using nut oil.

Very rarely eat chinese,been vegetarian for about 25 years and they dont do a whole lot of
veggie food,do eat a lot of curries, never used any peanuts in any recipes we've used at home,
takeaways tend to cook with ghee,so should be ok there,will have to see if cashews set me off as well,
that's the only nut that I can think of in curries

green1

Über Member
Unless there is a hidden ingredient in it a jar of peanut butter contains 0% nuts. Peanuts aren't nuts they are beans.

Berties

Fast and careful!
the problem with nut allergies most food manufacturers use the get out of jail clause, foods have been exposed to a environment that has or does contain nuts,most EHO's advice to small business owners that handle food to declare that the food product has no added nuts in it,but ingredients may have been exposed to a nut environment ,
the problem is some suffers allergy is so severe,and no one wants to be responsible

compo

Veteran

Unless there is a hidden ingredient in it a jar of peanut butter contains 0% nuts. Peanuts aren't nuts they are beans.

I never realised that. Now the warning on the jars make sense.
So, people with a nut allergy can eat peanut butter as long as it isn't contaminated with nuts?

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Sorry to hear that Paul. Are you going to have some sort of test to confirm this allergy, or are you 100% sure about it?

I know that allergies can develop in later life but it does seem a bit sudden, not that I know much about these matters!

LCpl Boiled Egg

Three word soundbite
I've got a severe peanut allergy, and the last time I accidentally ate nuts I ended up in A&E. The problem is the reaction gets worse each time you are exposed to the allergen (is that the right word?) and one day it could kill. Having said that, I've had mine for over 35 years, and I'm still here... I manage to eat pretty much what I like, but I always carry a strip of antihistamine tablets and an Epi-pen.

Please get a proper test to confirm what you are allergic to, and see your GP to get prescribed at least one Epi-pen and some tablets. Some people say you should carry two, but I've never even used mine let alone had to use a second dose.

I can sympathise with the stomach pains. I've had them when I've eaten other nuts that I'm not so allergic to (such as pistachios). Once you've dropped the kids off at the pool it feels a lot better...

Oh, and if you avoid everything that says "may contain nuts" you'll starve to death! Hope this helps anyway, and all the best with it.

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
For me it is Brazil nuts that cause issues and in general now I just try and avoid any nut just in case, although I have found that Walnuts and Almonds are OK. Certainly makes eating out at times a challenge. The last time it was Brazil nut essence that set me off which was a rather unpleasant experience and not one that I would like to repeat again.

Top Bottom