Llangollen canal - ok for cycling?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

digit

All,
Can anyone tell me if the tow path on the Llangollen canal is ok for cycling.

We will be staying in Chirk for a few days and fancy a pootle for up to 10-15 miles

bikes will be hybrids, going north or south of Chirk.

Cheers
Digit

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
All,
Can anyone tell me if the tow path on the Llangollen canal is ok for cycling.

We will be staying in Chirk for a few days and fancy a pootle for up to 10-15 miles

Cheers
Digit
For the stretch to Llangollen it's rather rough in places and the towpath in the tunnel between Chirk and Froncysyllte is very narrow (I had to ride it leaning my head over to avoid hitting the roof). There may be a way to avoid that bit but I've only ridden it once so haven't had the chance to find out.

If you intend crossing the Pontcysyllte aqueduct (there is a road alternative) cyclists are recommended to walk their bikes across because there is practically no room to pass walkers.

On the plus side - very scenic. You'll enjoy it,:okay:

pubrunner

Legendary Member
. . . . . . . the towpath in the tunnel between Chirk and Froncysyllte is very narrow (I had to ride it leaning my head over to avoid hitting the roof).

Phil's not wrong about this ^^^; the tunnel is very narrow and I'm very surprised that he's managed to cycle it - I've run though there a couple times and it is very narrow. (TBH, I wouldn't try to cycle it myself).

If you do cycle through the tunnel, you should have good lights; what Phil didn't mention, is that it is a long tunnel - over 400m long, so you need to focus clearly on the path and take care not to veer off course.

I live just a few miles from Chirk and I know the area very well.

If you are staying in Chirk, it would be much nicer (IMO) to head west to Glyn Ceiriog, Tregeriog and finish in Llanarmon DC, than to head north to Llangollen or south towards Oswestry.

A trip to Llangollen would be scenic by most standards, but the primary point of interest on that ride would be about halfway at the Pontcysyllte aqueduct - which you'd be well-advised to walk over. As @Rickshaw Phil has mentioned, there is a road alternative - which has a steep climb to it.

If you cycle west towards Glyn Ceiriog, there's a really nice pub in Dolywern (The Mulberry), a good pub in Glyn Ceiriog (Glyn Valley) and two fine pubs in Llanarmon DC - The West Arms & The Hand. The road is very scenic - you'd be cycling alongside the river. in the base of a valley, with no difficult or prolonged climbs to worry about. Oh yes, there would be very little traffic to worry about.

IMO, whether you go in a car or by bike, you 'must' take a trip along the Ceiriog Valley to Llanarmon; Llangollen is nice, but if you were to ask a frequent local cyclist such as @al-fresco which direction he would take, I'm sure that he'd prefer to head west from Chirk.

I look forward to hearing how you get on !

al-fresco

Growing older but not up...
Most of the towpath between Llangollen was resurfaced about 3 years ago and is in very good condition. Personally I would walk through the tunnel (I usually just bypass it by riding around by Chirk Castle and New Hall). The towpath, particularly over the aqueduct and nearer to Llangollen will be crowded with pedestrians during the summer holidays - a bell would be useful!

A ride up the Ceiriog Valley to Llanarmon DC is pleasant - but if you don't mind tackling something a bit steeper then turn left in Glyn Ceiriog (the first part of the hill is the steepest - it shelves after that and becomes easier) and ride over to Selattyn where the Cross Keys is the best pub in the area these days. Continue down the hill and through Weston Rhyn for an easy ride back to Chirk. (A round trip of about 16 miles with about 1,000 feet of climbing.)

al-fresco

BTW Ellesmere is worth a visit but the towpath in that direction is much worse so use the quiet lanes through Hindford and Crickett.

(And ignore any signs for the Ceiriog Valley Cycle trail - it was designed by a sadist!)

al-fresco

Indeed, but you've neglected to mention just how long that first part is :whistle:

Exhibit "A" m'lud:

Screen Shot 2018-08-10 at 10.56.50.png

D

Deleted member 26715

Is that a shear drop at around 12.5 miles?

Top Bottom