Load of Crap

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
What a load of crap the PR for the ToB was - Cyclemagic did both Cyrstal Palace and Glasgow and the attendance for both was very poor. In Glasgow I only saw ONE A4 poster in a nearby bike shop promoting it.

Blonde

It's always total carp (popular fishing mag..) innit though. There's not a great deal of coverage even in the cycling press, so if even the cycle mags can't be arsed it's not surprising that ordinary papers can't either. It's sad that the tourist offices in towns the race passes through don't publicise it better though - I'm sure local traders wouldn't say no to some extra funding from race-watching tourists, but it's obvious that people don't realise that they could attract a decent crowd to a town, to watch the race and also to see the sights and pay their money, if it was done right. Events such as town fetes, cycle shows etc could be organised to coincide, especially with weekend stages, so that people could come and sped their dosh all day, not just at the start/finish. Local attractions, such as transport or cycling museums could really benefit by having cycling related activities or exhibitions etc to conincide with the race. I can't understand why there's so much apathy either - not when it is obvious that it could actually really benefit the towns involved to publicise the race well.

Tim Bennet.

Entirely Average Member
Perhaps things are a little different around here. The event was well publicised in Kendal with big banners on every lamp post along the route. All the local primary schools were told to get their kids out and there was stuff on the local radio. The NW development agency produced a pretty good pamphlet explaining 'their' stage. C+ also had details in the magazine way back in June.

Last year Blackpool closed the sea front to cars for a 'ride the lights' festival to coincide with the Tour and that has now become an annual event even though the route didn't pass that way.

There is, of course, more that can be done by the 'powers that be' but also we can make a difference. Start asking (you and all your mates) the Tourist Office for details of the event as soon as you hear the route may be coming your way.

Cut and paste a locally focussed info pack and send it to the local press. They will have some 'sports hack' who has no knowledge of cycling covering it and it's easier for him (her) to use what is handed in on a plate than it is to be proactive.

Similarly after the event, send them a sub of what actually happened in their town with its significance to them. The writers will often appreciate they can also chat with someone who really understood what went on. If it makes their job easier, they will only be too happy to accept help.

North Yorkshire... need I say more?

There must be lessons to be learned from the Tour de France experience the differences in interest are just so stark. Watching the peleton is exciting but brief - access to commentary/coverage would flesh out the experience.

i was at both the events, Roger... i was going to say hello to you in Glasgow, but chickened out.

i didn't see any signs for the race in glasgow, i had a map to follow and walked along part of the route and there wasn't much there either!

oh well.

the atmosphere was good in Glasgow, despite the small crowd.

L

gavintc

Guru
I was chatting about it at work and announced to a couple of my colleagues that the race would pass their apartment block. They were completely unaware. It was not well publicised in Glasgow. Sadly, I was down south this weekend packing my house for my move and missed it.

Tetedelacourse

aye it got next to no coverage up here in Scotchland. That's just how it is and it sucks. Maybe our wet climate is to blame for lack of interest in cycling as a whole.

phoenix

I went along to the start in Rother Valley Country Park. I had been to the finish a few times in Sheffield but this was the first time to the start area. I was expecting something like a smaller version of the village that they have travelling with the Tour de France, well, I was suprised to say the least. I got there nice and early expecting to be able to take in the atmosphere and watch the goings on over a proper coffee and a baguette but the only thing there looked like a WI tent servicing instant coffee and no fresh food.

Are the starts in the city centres any better? I suppose at least I would have been able to get some decent coffee and food somewhere.

Based on this experience I was rather dissapointed but it will not stop me going again next year, but I will be better prepared.

To balance this out, I am very new to cycle racing so maybe was expecting to much but it was great to be able to look around at all of the bikes, see the riders getting prepared etc.

Blonde

Hilldodger said:
Blimey, am I THAT scarey?

Aw, no, you're about as scary as a cup of tea....

If I ever see you at any event I'll make sure I come over and give you a BIG Hug! :biggrin:

How did the birthday bash go BTW? I am really sorry I couldn't make it. What do pi55ed cyclists get up to on these occasions? Set up lines of traffic cones (with people wearing them) and try to navigate a recumbent trike around them backwards... or something?

OP
OP
Hilldodger

Hilldodger

Guru
If I ever see you at any event I'll make sure I come over and give you a BIG Hug!

I'll send you a list of forthcoming events:tongue:

Blimey, my birthday was before the TdeF and I can hardly remember anything before that. Did I mention my part in the TdeF opening ceremony to anyone? I have pictures.

gkerr4

Tim Bennet. said:
Perhaps things are a little different around here. The event was well publicised in Kendal with big banners on every lamp post along the route. All the local primary schools were told to get their kids out and there was stuff on the local radio. The NW development agency produced a pretty good pamphlet explaining 'their' stage. C+ also had details in the magazine way back in June.

Last year Blackpool closed the sea front to cars for a 'ride the lights' festival to coincide with the Tour and that has now become an annual event even though the route didn't pass that way.

There is, of course, more that can be done by the 'powers that be' but also we can make a difference. Start asking (you and all your mates) the Tourist Office for details of the event as soon as you hear the route may be coming your way.

Cut and paste a locally focussed info pack and send it to the local press. They will have some 'sports hack' who has no knowledge of cycling covering it and it's easier for him (her) to use what is handed in on a plate than it is to be proactive.

Similarly after the event, send them a sub of what actually happened in their town with its significance to them. The writers will often appreciate they can also chat with someone who really understood what went on. If it makes their job easier, they will only be too happy to accept help.

in fairness the NW development agency are exceptionally cycle friendly - they do work well with the local authorities to develop cycling events in the region and some work with the cycling development groups such as:
http://www.cdnw.org/

Blackpool council too are quite a cycle-friendly bunch and are desperate to keep the momentum up on events such as the ride the lights night that you mentioned, but also to ensure that the ToB returns to Blackpool - they havs signed up until 2012 and should see a start or finish here next year. A decent article here:
http://www.blackpool.gov.uk/News/BlackpoolCyclingFestivalSuccess.htm

is a bit of "own trumpet blowing" - but interesting. I work for the education authority here and know Paul Walker (the named director of leisure and culture) through work and cycling events such as the manchester - blackpool ride (where we had a team of 55 people in cycle-blackpool kit!) and he is a keen road cyclist himself - which always helps!

Top Bottom