lobbying for shower facilities at work

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Drago

Legendary Member
Fortunately, I was allowed to use the disabled loo anyway. Being a dirty great fat bar steward a large chap I found it tricky to use regular cubicles without tapoing my titanoum filled elbow on the walls, which was excrucisting. Old Charlie from Major Crime who'd lost a leg when hit by a drink driver just had to wait his turn while I luxuriated in the space and comfort while having a relaxing forest.

bruce1530

Guru
If there's a new build involved, or a major refurb, then remind the powers-that-be of BREAAM. It's a measurement of how sustainable a building is. Architects and building bosses strive to get the "outstanding" and "excellent" ratings.

While most of the BREAAM stuff relates to building structure, energy efficiency, use of recycled materials etc etc, you can gain BREAAM points for having lots of bike parking, and for having showers, as this is seen as encouraging cycle-to-work. Equally, you can lose BREAAM points if you have too many car parking spaces!

OP
OP
mjd1988

mjd1988

Guru
Is there any clinical activity in your building ?

It's mainly offices for outpatient stuff so teams are based here but there are no inpatients and never was.

I'll keep chipping away with random emails that seems to work (got a bike rack being installed) and in the meantime I'll experiment with a leisurely cycle in and flannel/wipes

vickster

Legendary Member
Don’t forget to change all your clothes after the wipe down (that said I didn’t bother changing my bra!)

OP
OP
mjd1988

mjd1988

Guru
No it's mainly mental health/social work offices and it's not purpose built so no changing rooms.

midlife

Guru
That's a shame as having to change into and out of scrubs would be a good lever for showers. I'm trying to think of any NHS office only buildings here that have showers.

gbb

Legendary Member
You may find resistance to showers from an unexpected aspect....legionella.
In our ( at the time) brand new factory, shower cubicles were already installed but not connected up, a few of us lobbied for them to be put into use....they risk assessed it and poo poo'd it on the legionella risk, maintenance, etc.

Tbf, they probably just didnt want to do it, lehgionalla may or may not be the real reason but was the one given.

T.M.H.N.E.T

Rainbows aren't just for world champions
Everyone needs a boss who cycles. Obviously a locker helps so you can keep spare undertrunks/socks and all that shizzle.. *I highly recommend microfibre towels
You may find resistance to showers from an unexpected aspect....legionella.
In our ( at the time) brand new factory, shower cubicles were already installed but not connected up, a few of us lobbied for them to be put into use....they risk assessed it and poo poo'd it on the legionella risk, maintenance, etc.

Tbf, they probably just didnt want to do it, lehgionalla may or may not be the real reason but was the one given.
This is true here, the water tester (happens to be an old mate of mine) is here very few months, the showers are often necessesary though and not just used by the cyclists.

Juliansou

Good luck with the campaign. In the meantime I can recommend muck off dry shower - it’s basically an antibacterial foam (smells nice too). Used in conjunction with a damp flannel it does a perfect job. I’ve been using it for a couple of years for my similar timed commute.

Brooks

Here's an idea that would work, 50 people in the building all chip in £100 giving a total of £5,000 which would pay for the installation of the shower.
Another £100 per year subs should cover the water rates, electricity, cleaning and laundry bills. Put that proposal to management and they'd be impressed the responsibility and maturity of the idea.

GeekDadZoid

Über Member
If there is a cheap gym near by it might be a good option. Added advantage that you can leave any smelly kit in a locker there.

BrumJim

Forum Stalwart (won't take the hint and leave...)
Find the gatekeeper for the finance for a shower, and then arrange a meeting with them just after you have got in from your commute. And make sure that you are as stinky as possible and stand as close to them as you dare. For at least an hour.

Top Bottom