Local accents

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
According to my southern girlfriend I talk like a 'Manc'
I can't see it myself being a posh cheshire boy :whistle:

An elderly women who works in the shop I work in says she comes from the 'posh' part of Manchester, when customers ask which part she's from, but to me she sounds like Liam Gallagher. :whistle: To pay me back when I say this, she says I sound like 'Hayley Cropper' and 'Janice Battersby' off Coronation Street. Both are long gone characters of the program, but I saw 'Hayley' out walking with her mother the other day. :okay:

Last edited:

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
My partner is from Penrith and to me has a strong accent but it's very different to Yorkshire. Her mum (or Mam) is funny, she says book and cook to rhyme with "Luke". And all sorts of phrases like "I'll just have a sandwich to put me on until tea". Also the word "eh" at the end of a sentence, much like the Ozzies say "ay" or a londonder might say "innit"

AndyRM

XOXO
My partner is from Penrith and to me has a strong accent but it's very different to Yorkshire. Her mum (or Mam) is funny, she says book and cook to rhyme with "Luke". And all sorts of phrases like "I'll just have a sandwich to put me on until tea". Also the word "eh" at the end of a sentence, much like the Ozzies say "ay" or a londonder might say "innit"

I'm not really surprised that someone from Cumbria would have a different accent to someone from Yorkshire, or have I missed something?

OP
OP
E
No sure if I have said this before by my Niece (well - my wife's niece) can;t cope with hearing me swear

she is 21 - so not a child - just to be clear

Firstly I don;t swear much so she has not heard it often

but to her I am VERY posh - although a lot of people say they can hear that I come from "around Liverpool" - actually Wirral which is mostly more posh (except some places - think Lillie Savage!!!!)

The Niece is used to people with quite strong Liverpool or ST. Helens accents and people who swear more than me

If I swear the incongruity of a Posh voice using rough language is too much for her
least time she literally ran out of the room screaming!!

anyway - apparently I'm posh

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
I'm not really surprised that someone from Cumbria would have a different accent to someone from Yorkshire, or have I missed something?

As a southerner, many northern accents sound similar (apart from scouse or Geordie which are more recognisable). I could just about tell the difference between Blackburn and Leeds for example, but not much else. Much the same as Plymothian is very different from the Exeter and East Devon accent but many people not raised here can tell a difference

Dave7

Legendary Member
No sure if I have said this before by my Niece (well - my wife's niece) can;t cope with hearing me swear

she is 21 - so not a child - just to be clear

Firstly I don;t swear much so she has not heard it often

but to her I am VERY posh - although a lot of people say they can hear that I come from "around Liverpool" - actually Wirral which is mostly more posh (except some places - think Lillie Savage!!!!)

The Niece is used to people with quite strong Liverpool or ST. Helens accents and people who swear more than me

If I swear the incongruity of a Posh voice using rough language is too much for her
least time she literally ran out of the room screaming!!

anyway - apparently I'm posh

Hey you La.....I'm from d Wirral and I'm like dead posh like.

AndyRM

XOXO
As a southerner, many northern accents sound similar (apart from scouse or Geordie which are more recognisable). I could just about tell the difference between Blackburn and Leeds for example, but not much else. Much the same as Plymothian is very different from the Exeter and East Devon accent but many people not raised here can tell a difference

Ah, OK, gotcha. I suppose that goes both ways. I can vaguely distinguish most southern accents into regions, but when it gets more localised I struggle.

Thorn Sherpa

Über Member
Most people from outside Yorkshire think we all talk the same, but it's a big county with a big variation, ie Barnsley v Yarm etc.
Originally from Doncaster (Donny) now live in Bolton Upon Dearne which is right on the boundaries of Barnsley Rotherham and Doncaster. Some have a more Barnsley accent some more Rotherham especially when they say nnnnoooo!

Jody

Stubborn git

Much as the north/south divide line (Leicester - It's not up for debate), I struggle to differentiate a lot of the southern counties. Devon/Exeter/Plymouth etc are fairly distinctive but the south east corner including London is difficult.

It's odd as I find the accents are more distinctive the further north you go and the south blends into a very similar RP sound. Some counties are a little more nasal than others.

OP
OP
E
Hey you La.....I'm from d Wirral and I'm like dead posh like.

Yeah - I know
but there is Wirral and there is Wirral

I mean people in big houses in West Kirby or Caldy and not exactly similar to people from the depths of the Woodchurch Estate (or whatever it has been renamed this week!)

must stop thinking about West Kirby - bring back memories of of some girls from the Girl's school near my school (mine was boys only of course)

one of them lived on the hill overlooking West Kirby so we spent a lot of summer holidays at West Kirby marine lake or around her pool
I remember bikinis

just off for a cold shower

Dave7

Legendary Member
Yeah - I know
but there is Wirral and there is Wirral

I mean people in big houses in West Kirby or Caldy and not exactly similar to people from the depths of the Woodchurch Estate (or whatever it has been renamed this week!)

must stop thinking about West Kirby - bring back memories of of some girls from the Girl's school near my school (mine was boys only of course)

one of them lived on the hill overlooking West Kirby so we spent a lot of summer holidays at West Kirby marine lake or around her pool
I remember bikinis

just off for a cold shower

Would that hill be Column Road ?.

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
Much as the north/south divide line (Leicester - It's not up for debate), I struggle to differentiate a lot of the southern counties. Devon/Exeter/Plymouth etc are fairly distinctive but the south east corner including London is difficult.

It's odd as I find the accents are more distinctive the further north you go and the south blends into a very similar RP sound. Some counties are a little more nasal than others.

Yes, I've noticed in the North that everyone has a local accent, even the well-spoken people. Whereas, as you say, down south it's pretty much all RP with only the older and/or rural folk having any sort of regional accent. There are lots of young kids I hear in Plymouth who just sound generic southern, and some others (mostly from more working class areas) speak proper Janner

Top Bottom