Local attractions

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ChrisKH

Guru
simonali said:
Say you had a cyclist friend staying over who wanted to see something famous/cool that had to be within let's say a 30 mile ride of your gaff (i.e. 60 there and back), where could/would you be able to take them to see famous fings?

Here are the ones I can think of near me.

Longleat

Salisbury

Bath

Caen Hill locks

Gold Hill in Shaftesbury, made famous by the Hovis adverts in the seventies. I have deep admiration for the cyclist in that photo coz I've walked down that hill and not only is it bloody steep but it's really bumpy with those cobbles!

Can you tell I've not much to do today?! :biggrin:

I don;t know if Salisbury Hill or any of the Tors are in cycling distance. Me? I'd be heading for Bristol or Bath Rugby Club for a few beers and possibly watch a game.

OP
OP
simonali

simonali

Guru
ChrisKH said:
I don;t know if Salisbury Hill or any of the Tors are in cycling distance. Me? I'd be heading for Bristol or Bath Rugby Club for a few beers and possibly watch a game.

You mean Solsbury Hill or Silbury Hill?

I think they're both within the 30 mile zone, as is Avebury, but Avebury and Silbury Hill are both horrible rides down a busy fast road.

Arch

Married to Night Train
Well, there's York Minster, the National Railway Museum (see Mallard, and usually whatever bits of the Flying Scotsman are currently being held together by Duct tape, a replica of the Rocket, a Shinkansen bullet train etc etc etc), Jorvik (complete with authentic Viking smells)... Most of York is a tourist attraction, basically.

Outside York, there's Castle Howard, where they made Brideshead Revisited.

longers

Legendary Member
What Beansontoastsaid and simoncc said applies for me. Apart from the football bit.

Thanks for the WinterHill link Yenrod, somewhere I've been meaning to go.

TVC

Hmmmm... Somewhere decent to go within 30 miles of Leicester....

That would be Nottingham then.;)

graham56

Guru
Hadrians Wall

Hexham Abbey

Kielder Resevoir & Forest

Vindolanda

Housesteads & Chesters Roman forts

Wallington & Belsay Halls and gardens

Durham Cathederal

and a little farther,Lindisfarne (Holy Island) and Bamburgh Castle.

Noodley

longers said:
What Beansontoastsaid and simoncc said applies for me. Apart from the football bit.

Thanks for the WinterHill link Yenrod, somewhere I've been meaning to go.

I am venturing down your (and beanz and cc's) way in May this year to ride a few 100km routes over the weekend. Reckon I'll be staying in the Edale area - any good pubs you can recommend where I can grab a decent pint and some nosh?

longers

Legendary Member
Noodley said:
Reckon I'll be staying in the Edale area - any good pubs you can recommend where I can grab a decent pint and some nosh?

One of the pubs in Edale (something to do with horses?) has a good reputation for food and drink. It was closed when I walked there last year but brews it's own beer and reputedly does good food. It advertises as being walker, boot and dog friendly so will not be put out by an audaxer.

Don't know many others round there as I tend not to stop at pubs when cycling. Others will know the area better.

There is a very good cafe stop at Millers Dale, near to the toilets at the old train station. Follow the signs for the disabled toilets from the road. It's a van type affair but does excellent cake.

There is also a very good woodworking shop at Millers Dale if you like that sort of thing.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Oxford.
The Cotswolds.
Woodstock/Blenheim Palace.
Chipping Norton...for Beer aficionados.
Wittenham Clumps.
Didcot Railway Museum.

Top Bottom