Local Bike Recycling Charity

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

HovR

Über Member
So a little while ago I was considering donating my time to one of the local bike recycling charity/projects. They take in old racers, among other bikes, fix them up and sell them, with proceeds going to local causes. On their website they stress how the bikes are being worked on by Cytech qualified mechanics - to the 'highest standard'.

Thinking this seemed like a worthy cause and a professional organisation, I recommended my friend (who was in the market for an old racer) to purchase from them. She bought a nice old Mixte Peugeot, which looked lovely on the listing page.

When it arrived, I was disappointed to find numerous mechanical issues within the first minute of checking the bike over!

There was considerable play in the headset.
The rear wheel bearings had a lot of play in them.
The freewheel was so seized that the chain was pushed off the chain ring if you stopped pedaling.
The brakes weren't centered and so were rubbing on the rims.
None of the bearings (that I checked) had fresh grease in them.

The bike really wasn't road worthy at all (although they had put new tires and bar tape on it). I fixed these issues for her, although I feel sorry for purchasers who are unable to do this for themselves. Not sure how they can get away with it personally!

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
HovR thats not good but have heard similar stories before

OP
OP
HovR

HovR

Über Member
May I ask why you fixed it, instead of taking it back? Trading standards still apply here, as far as I know, and goods sold should be fit for purpose.

As my friends bike is her primary means of transport every day without the a bike (waiting for repairs or looking for a new bike) would have been another day shelling out for public transport. Unfortunately her hold bike was stolen a few days ago so there was nothing to fall back on.

It was much easier and more convenient for me to fix the bike (which cost nothing but a couple of hours time) than sending it back. If I were the one picking up the bike I would have called them out on it!

OP
OP
HovR

HovR

Über Member
Do you know or mind telling how much was paid for this delight?

£135. The bike had £35 at most of new tires, tubes and bar tape on it. The cables seem ok, but I can't remember if they changed them or if they're still good from the previous owner.

deanE

I think you should, at least, go back to the charity and tell them what you found. It is not going to do them any good if someone is letting bikes go out in that condition.

Top Bottom