Locating wheel with thru-axles.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
Often have to transport bikes in the car with front wheel removed. With a Q/R It is then easy to re-locate the wheel in the drop outs and tighten the Q/R. Any tips for re-locating a wheel with a thru-axle?

rivers

How far can I go?
Often have to transport bikes in the car with front wheel removed. With a Q/R It is then easy to re-locate the wheel in the drop outs and tighten the Q/R. Any tips for re-locating a wheel with a thru-axle?

Pop wheel in, line it up with the through axle entry and exit points, screw in through axle. It's not any harder than a quick release.

Alex321

Veteran
I've had both (current thru-axle) and have found no difference in locating the wheel.

The drop outs still have a cutout which fits the hub IME.

OP
OP
youngoldbloke

youngoldbloke

Pop wheel in, line it up with the through axle entry and exit points, screw in through axle. It's not any harder than a quick release.

I realise that's what you are meant to do, but there is nothing to stop the wheel going just that little bit too far, so that the holes don't quite line up. I expect I'll get used to it.

T4tomo

Guru
if you already have a bike with them, just practise a bit if needed. If you haven't don't be worried by the prospect.

Maybe marginally slower than a QR, but its a more secure solution and more foolproof in terms of not being able to put the wheel in cock eyed.

OP
OP
youngoldbloke

youngoldbloke

I've had both (current thru-axle) and have found no difference in locating the wheel.

The drop outs still have a cutout which fits the hub IME.

Not mine - the forks have two holes RH side threaded.

if you already have a bike with them, just practise a bit if needed. If you haven't don't be worried by the prospect.

Maybe marginally slower than a QR, but its a more secure solution and more foolproof in terms of not being able to put the wheel in cock eyed.

On the new bike. I use a fork mount in the car and there is nothing to help locate the axle holes. At least on the bike the wheel is stopped by the tyre touching the top of the fork, or the disc rotor.

Ajax Bay

Guru
The OP needs to work on their 'things to worry about' list and sharing threshold.
Practical tip: have a go at this with your eyes closed: get a feel for it.

OP
OP
youngoldbloke

youngoldbloke

The OP needs to work on their 'things to worry about' list and sharing threshold.
Practical tip: have a go at this with your eyes closed: get a feel for it.

Thanks for your helpful contribution. Do you have any experience of the subject? If you did perhaps might understand why I asked the question.

Kajjal

Guru
QR can leave the wheel not quite aligned. A thru axel only goes in one way, normally only one side of the fork is threaded and the other has a slight indentation. This mean the wheel goes in the same each time for a thruaxel.

OP
OP
youngoldbloke

youngoldbloke

QR can leave the wheel not quite aligned. A thru axel only goes in one way, normally only one side of the fork is threaded and the other has a slight indentation. This mean the wheel goes in the same each time for a thruaxel.

I know ... thanks everyone for your help ... I've found the slight indentations. Solved the problem with the fork hitch by adjusting the width fractionally.

Last edited:

gbb

Legendary Member
Personally, i used to use the brake blocks as a central reference point, if it wasnt lined up, I'd push or pull the rim toward the blocks till it was straight then nip up the nuts.

Top Bottom