Location of member gives location on google maps!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Gez73

Veteran
Been looking at my profile page and discovered that my towns name was in blue. Clicked it and it gave my houses location on google. Out of curiosity I got my missus to look for me on CC without being logged in as me and she was able to get the location of our house too. I have deleted my town from my profile page as I was unaware this feature existed. A little worrying. Sorry if this is common knowlege but I was unaware of it. Gez

Welsh wheels

Lycra king
Thanks for the heads up - I'm going to check mine now.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
It is only going to give the location of your town, not your house. If you are seeing you house, then that is because you are staring your current location with google maps and it is defaulting to that. I am fairly sure that you have not given your address to @Shaun and he has a recorded on CC for all to see. When I do it with my profile, I am first taken Tom Warwick University which is not even in Warwick, then it takes me to Warwick twin centre which is more than a mile away from me.

OP
OP
Gez73

Gez73

Veteran
I expected a wiki page on my town to be honest not a map with a marker. Might be because our tablets here are set with Google but I can't check that. Never noticed it before so was a little shocked. Gez

All it does is generate a google map search using whatever text you put as your location. It's not invading your privacy in any manner - or no more than if someone looked up your town in an A-Z.

Edit: in fact, it's not as invasive as someone using an A-Z, because it uses google.com, not google.co.uk, so if you put your location as Boston, it will show Boston, Massachusetts not Boston, Lincolnshire.

Last edited:

classic33

Leg End Member
Yikes - somebody moved me to the premises of Lancs & Yorks Flooring in Todmorden! :laugh:
The Border Rose Inn!
The Border Rose Inn.jpg

classic33

Leg End Member
It's a bit odd that we get different results!

Anyway, I think that we can rest assured that this feature is NOT showing the population of the planet where our bike sheds are ... :whistle:
It's not as though it's just on the wrong side of Tod either(Border ran through the Town Hall at one stage.)

Top Bottom