Loch Rannoch Holiday

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
SatNavSaysStraightOn

SatNavSaysStraightOn

Changed hemispheres!
a couple more shots from Monday 25th March that did not make it in to the text because of a 10 file upload limit...

A patch of light l liked.
IMG_5661.JPG

The next snow storm lines up...
IMG_5699.JPG

Another patch of light I liked, but the little camera can't handle it very well.
IMG_5710.JPG

truly stunning photos and a wonderful story satnav :wahhey:

thank you very much indeed for taking the time to share it, along with OH who is the mandatory satnav model for pics !!

^_^

OP
OP
SatNavSaysStraightOn

SatNavSaysStraightOn

Changed hemispheres!
truly stunning photos and a wonderful story satnav :wahhey:

thank you very much indeed for taking the time to share it, along with OH who is the mandatory satnav model for pics !!

^_^
Hey - I'm only half way through the holiday!
had to stop for a break... might continue later today or tomorrow...
I do occasionally creep into pictures, but not this holiday - the black eye from the gravity incident was rather good...
http://www.cyclechat.net/threads/black-eye-how-long.126021/

OP
OP
SatNavSaysStraightOn

SatNavSaysStraightOn

Changed hemispheres!
Tuesday 26th March - http://app.strava.com/activities/45939182

'twas one of those days today where it has snowed more than it has been anything else, yet we have less snow now than this morning!

The 43km ride started in a blizzard and ended in a blizzard. In between there were several more blizzards, hail storms and numerous disturbed buzzards, several flocks of fieldfares and 1 cormorant - I am assuming it is lost given we have not seen one here before. We also spotted 2 roe deer, a couple of white throated dippers, several docile pheasants that could not be bothered to move out of our way and 2 daffodils that have decided it is time to flower - they are confused - it is most certainly not.

We had decided originally to do the Schiehallion road (big climb, hairpin bends, very exposed) but somewhere between the first blizzard which lasted 8km and the turn off less than a km later, we decided against it. It was probably a sensible decision, the headwind has not been kind again today and it was hard work even at loch level.

Around Carie Walks my OH (currently not known in this household as the better half) decided an off road excursion to see if his route up to Glen Lyon was an option for another day.

IMG_5719.JPG

A touch of nice light on the distant mountains - too many trees in the way to get them out of the photo... sorry...

Forestry commission tracks are not the best of things to follow uphill in snow in a blizzard and this one was more like superglue, ielding to the tyres, letting them sink and trying hard to hang onto them as you swore and cursed and tried to continue in those granny gears every one swears blind they never use :whistle: that was until we met the 'snow line'. (We are currently on our moutain bikes with the winter studded tyres, but they are at tarmac pressure (i.e. max) and for a variety of reasons we didn't have a pump with us to re-inflate them afterwards if we were to drop them to sensible levels for snow.) Once we met the snow line, it the forestry track became more like an ice-rink and after 2 forestry vehicles came through rutting up the snow & ice badly, I called it a day and pushed my bike to where he was waiting "Why didn't you say something?" he said. My thoughts were not printable and best left not mentioned....:whistle: Coming back down the track was almost as slow as going up it - at least it has clarified one thing, my cracked ribs still hurt even with the painkillers. Any ideas of off-roading for me are out for the moment.
Getting back to the holiday home, it was blizzard after blizzard and a case of head down, no talking, until we found a spot of sunshine which was womderful for the 5 mins it lasted, then we were hit by yet another blizzard and left confused as hell when Schiehallion's summit was visible yet we were still in a blizzrad at the time. Still it added to the day's picture count but leaves the picture a touch fuzzy, such was the nature of the weather today.

IMG_5724.JPG

Once back at the holiday home, the sun has come out again which is typical - so the last photo is from the holiday home looking away from the latest blizzard and into the sunshine...

Extra's...
Later that evening, there was a brief patch of magical light as the sunset. Magical in the fact it was visible, clear & had that wonderful soft/saturated colour to it that evening light sometimes has in those last few rays, making up for a hard day on the bikes.

IMG_1193.JPG

IMG_1195.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_5726.JPG
    IMG_5726.JPG
    53.9 KB · Views: 51
OP
OP
SatNavSaysStraightOn

SatNavSaysStraightOn

Changed hemispheres!
Wednesday 27th March - http://app.strava.com/activities/46057329

Today was one of those really rare days, where my OH went out for a bike ride by himself in the morning. It took a lot of doing and me down right refusing to go out, but eventually he went off and cycled back around to Carie Walks on the other side of the loch. I sat outside in a spot of sunshine and did some maintenance. My road bike which had not been used for a week before the holiday after my 'incident with gravity' has a badly rusted chain due to not much oil on it prior to my accident, and then complete neglect for the last 2 weeks following my accident - today was operation chain recovery....

So my OH went off to explore some more of Carie walks in the snow on his mtb and these are the phone camera photos...

He came back having reached the same conclusion I had reached yesterday, only it took him much longer to reach the conclusion - that is any attempt at getting over to Glen Lyon from the 'up & over' point of view, will not be possible this holiday. Thankfully he has also come back with the conclusion that I would not have gotten much further than I did yesterday as it was and I was correct to call a halt to the climb into the snow & trees.... It seems I do know my limits with a cracked rib after all:rolleyes:

Photo0038.jpg
Photo0039.jpg

Photo0040.jpg

So I know - you are now asking yourself why is she posting today's ride... well exactly that. There is no point in doing that road bike maintenance without testing how well it worked is there? So once he was home, we changed bikes and went out for a quick circuit of the loch. I had been hoping to get the times down to 1hr 50 mins on the road bike for a 24 mile circuit of the loch. I perhaps set out a touch too quickly and energetically... :whistle: and towards the end was being held up by my OH! This is unusual. Normally I am the slower of the 2, but in all fairness whilst I did 50km today, he did 50 miles and is not built for endurance & distance whereas I am.... Still as we approached the holiday home, a quick chat settled the decision that I would continue without him - some holiday maker (assumption) has a really strange strava segment along here - strange in its start & end points and if I went 2 km further down the road I could guarentee a QOM...:whistle: so we went our seperate ways and I failed to stop at the end of the segment and.... eventually stopped when the loch ran out and I had that decision to make, 2nd circuit or home... well the headwind on the return leg settle the decision and I made my way relunctantly back to the holiday home... there was a load of washing to get done after all and I was wearing it.

Some additional pictures from later on in the evening... I was meant to be getting the washing from the washing machine, but abandoned the idea in favour of the big camera and some nice photos of Schiehallion again as the last of the setting sun caught it.

(And for those with an over active imagination - it is a circular stone shelter on the top of the other mountain... I am married to someone with an overactive imagination, I know what you are thinking... shame on you....:rolleyes:)

IMG_1197.JPG

IMG_1213.JPG

IMG_1222.JPG
IMG_1214.JPG
IMG_1209.JPG

OP
OP
SatNavSaysStraightOn

SatNavSaysStraightOn

Changed hemispheres!
Friday 29th March - http://app.strava.com/activities/46347316

Today was a short day but we managed to squeeze in 55km. We are changing holiday homes so we can stay an extra 2 days, so we repeated the ride we did on a very windy day earlier in the week. Some what embarrassingly the ride we did earlier in the week was faster (according to strava) on the mountain bikes with studded winter tyres on than on the road bikes with nice slick tyres - I can only claim that the tailwind up the ascent on Monday was much stronger than the tailwind we had today. But on the bright side of things we have had sunshine (and blue sky) this morning and we almost made complete 36 miles without a snow shower today! Nearly but not quite. 36 miles, 2hrs 35 mins and a nice ride. (Actually had to stop and take the leg warmers off and tie them to my pannier rack - I was too warm, for a short while.)

The blue skies did not last long but once onto Rannoch Moor, they were replaced with some wonderfully dramatic light over Loch Eigheach Gaur Resevior.
IMG_5733.JPG

Loch Eigheach Gaur Resevior
IMG_5734.JPG

IMG_5737.JPG

The distant peaks with the pillons are Bauchaille Etive Moor and surrounding mountains in Glencoe.
IMG_5735.JPG

OP
OP
SatNavSaysStraightOn

SatNavSaysStraightOn

Changed hemispheres!
Saturday's ride into Pitlochry is the first posting on this thread... It was our longest ride since the canine incident that ended our world tour and we both thoroughly enjoyed a great day out.

Sunday 31st March - http://app.strava.com/activities/46644927

Our final ride of the holidays - we have to go home tomorrow, but there were no photos today - the weather and views have been better.
54.6km in 2hrs 40mins, 493m climbing (34miles 1,600 feet old school). We went back up onto Rannoch Moor to the railway station & then around the loch. Only the 1 QOM today which was mine already (4 trophies in total (2*2nd PR+ a 3rd PR)), but at least I have now bettered my own mountain bike time (seriously good tailwind that day) on a climb on the road bike... It would have been too embarrassing to have left my fastest climb onto Rannoch Moor in the hands of a winter studded tyre on a mountain bike! It clouded over later on and the easterly is still bitterly cold and for whatever reason both of us were feeling it much more than the previous 2 weeks - 380 miles/612km in 2 weeks on holiday with the weather we have had, we are both happy.

Saturday's ride into Pitlochry is the first posting on this thread... It was our longest ride our world tour and we both thoroughly enjoyed a great day out.
And I've enjoyed the pics, thanks for sharing SatNav :thumbsup:

Top Bottom