Lochgilphead to Dundee route?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I've planned out a route on the road between these two places, are there any 'bike routes' I can take to come off the main roads?

Bored Man

Upstanding Member
Hi David, I don’t know whether your heading over directly however, Komoot throws up a few alternatives which include ferry crossings which is always nice.

I've planned out a route on the road between these two places, are there any 'bike routes' I can take to come off the main roads?
Sadly no. You have several options but assuming you want to go overland, there'll be significant amount of main road riding no matter which way you go.

Any reasonably direct route would involve going from Crianlarich to Killin - which means riding the busy A85 trunk road between Crianlarich and the Auchlyne turnoff and also having to ride a busy trunk road to get there:

- If you go via Dalmally you'd also need to ride the A85 from Dalmally to Tyndrum and the A82 to Crianlarich.
- If you rode the A83 around the top of Loch Fyne, cut off at Cairndow, took the back route up the B839/B828 over the Rest and Be Thankful, down via Arrochar, you'd still need to ride the A82 from Tarbet to Crianlarich

I can't really recommend riding the A85 or A82, both of which are far worse than the A83 IMO.

From Killin onwards it's easy - you can follow quiet roads the entire way into Dundee, along the south of Loch Tay, over the A826 moor road from Aberfeldy to Dunkeld, then follow the A984 southeast.

There are a few alternative routes that are generally much longer route that would avoid main roads: go via Dumbarton using one of two options:
- A83 north/RABT to Arrochar, then south along Loch Long to Helensburgh then Dumbarton ( https://ridewithgps.com/routes/29365629 )
- A83 south to Tarbert, get the ferry to Portavadie, ride to Dunoon, get the ferry to Gourock, and get the ferry to Rosneath then down through Helensburgh. ( https://ridewithgps.com/routes/29365516 )

An option that just occurred to me would be to go via A83/RABT to Arrochar (as in my first route link), but instead of going down Loch Long, you'd cross over to Tarbet on Loch Lomond - apparently there's a seasonal ferry to Inversnaid - from there you would go past Loch Katrine and have loads of very quiet eastward options.

Last edited:
As some on here can tell you, I sometimes get carried away when it comes to coming up with routes... the relevation of the Inversnaid ferry changes everything.

https://ridewithgps.com/routes/29365727

I'd say that I've probably ridden 90% of that route (have relatives in Campbeltown and used to live in Dundee) and apart from the A83 to Cairndow and Arrochar to Tarbet it's almost entirely on quiet roads. The only bit I'm squiffy about is the section between Callander and Dunblane, which I've never ridden.

Last edited:
U

User6179

An option that just occurred to me would be to go via A83/RABT to Arrochar (as in my first route link), but instead of going down Loch Long, you'd cross over to Tarbet on Loch Lomond - apparently there's a seasonal ferry to Inversnaid - from there you would go past Loch Katrine and have loads of very quiet eastward options.

I was just going to suggest this route :okay:

Bobby Mhor

Wasn't born to follow
Go to Tarbet, ferry across to Portavadie follow Route 75 to Kirn then ferry across to Gourock,
options then ferry to Kilcreggan then up over to Arrochar, head to Loch Lomond (Tarbet) find ferry to Inversnaid, circle round Loch Katrine head through the Trossachs to Callander, take route 7 North and at Lochearnhead head towards Comrie, Crieff then Auchterarder and Bridge of Earn head to Newburgh (Fife) and follow NCN 777 until Newport on Tay, cross the Tay Road Bridge to Dundee..
Auchterarder to Dundee using that route is an enjoyable ride (I did it the opposite way)..

Spend some time in Dundee as it's a great cycling hub with great runs out of the city in all directions..

Oh, there are just so many options to Dundee..
You could cross at Hunters Quay (Dunoon), follow NCN 75 to Bridge of Weir then head across to the Erskine Bridge, drop into Old Kilpatrick, two routes now, one up to Balloch then follow NCN 7 until Lochearnhead OR Forth & Clyde Canal to Falkirk, head over into Fife then NCN (?) north to Newport on Tay (via St Andrews is a good run)..

Just so many options....
Any info needed around the Clyde Area just PM.....

OP
OP
F
This is the route I had planned. When I'm fit enough, I want to cycle it in a day for a charity. The route ends at someone's house as I want to surprise him (5miles cut off from link) https://ridewithgps.com/routes/29366692

Have a slave follow me in a car, then they can drive me back.

Bobby Mhor

Wasn't born to follow
Nice..
at mile 127, I'd just carry along the Carse through Kingoodie up into Invergowrie following the NCN route markers, just a suggestion.
I know there is a path alongside the main road Longforgan to Dundee but yon traffic is scary fast..

Bored Man

Upstanding Member
If you do pass through Arrochar, say hello to a former Keighlians... Believe it or not there a couple of us that now live here.. :welcome:

Top Bottom