lock for short cafe stops

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

DLB

I came across this lock on wiggle which looked pretty good for when i only want to lock the bike outside a shop/cafe for a couple of minutes. I'm thinking of those lovely long summer rides to come this year.

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/ProductDeta...dID=5300006185&N=Abus CombiFlex 202 90cm Lock

Any idea if it's any good. Or alternately suggest another of around the same price. One that would fit in a back pocket or saddle bag would be good.

Tynan

Veteran
looks good to me, you know best what risk the lock has to deter

alicat

Legendary Member
Seems a bit expensive for the level of security the lock can offer and there is no info on how much the lock weighs. Abus also do sturdier locks for about a fiver but you only know how much the neatness of this lock matters to you.

slow down

I just carry a cheap cable lock for shop stops (Wiggle do similar for 1/2 the price of the one you're looking at). Plenty long enough to go thorugh the frame, both wheels and a fixed pole. I do have confirmation from my insurers that this is sufficient in the event of a theft - may be worth checking as some insist on approved locks.

domtyler

Über Member
I have that one! :wacko: I really like it, "it's full of ABUSey goodness and very small and neat" :biggrin:

Yeah, it really small, compact but surprisingly tough. I really don't think you could defeat this with bare hands. Any one who had a decent set of wire snips however would be straight through in less than a second. But for cafe stops where the risk is pretty low it's perfect. And it will easily fit into a small saddle bag.

Tynan

Veteran
lets have a link for the ABUS one, need a half decent lock soon but not overly keen on laying out £30 plus, It's going to be left on the rack

alicat

Legendary Member
Tynan,

I can't find a link to my £5 Abus lock. I bought it from a motorbike shop. It is sturdier than the combiflex but still only suitable for a cafe stop. If you want something decent you probably are looking at spending more than a fiver.

Tynan

Veteran
thinking back, if you're not carrying it around, a proper chain and a proper padlock from a hardware shop are shags cheaper and far more secure as they're all about strong rather than light/pretty/portable/tactile

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
My own quick stop choice is a Kryptonite cable lock - as I recall it was a £7 ish in one of the Edinbrugh Bike Co-Op sales. It might have been this one although I've a feeling mine is shorter.

Danny

Legendary Member
That definitely looks more secure. However some years ago when I was a youth worker, I remember one of the lads on the estate I worked on demonstrating how he could crack a combination lock in seconds - though the lock in question may have only had three dials and the one on Wiggle has four.

OP
OP
D

DLB

Dannyg said:
That definitely looks more secure. However some years ago when I was a youth worker, I remember one of the lads on the estate I worked on demonstrating how he could crack a combination lock in seconds - though the lock in question may have only had three dials and the one on Wiggle has four.

That's quite worrying. i wonder how he could do that??

Danny

Legendary Member
Practice unfortunately!

He was a useful contact though - when a friend had her bike nicked he managed to recover the frame, though minus most of the parts.

Top Bottom