Lock on MTB Handlebar Grips and Over Thumb Thingies

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
My grips on my hard tail swivel about and can give me blisters.

I am after lock on recommendations with a budget of £20.00. Not the Ergon palm grips which I have on my cargo bike as I want dynamic control and movement of my hand. I need something suitable for long days in the saddle so something suited for endurance. I was also looking for thumb over grips but it seems they are only in the States. Any ideas on these too?

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Quite happy with my SRAM lock ons. Nothing particularly fancy, but they match my components

Justinitus

Warning: May Contain Pie
I was also looking for thumb over grips but it seems they are only in the States. Any ideas on these too?

I had the TOG’s thumb over grip things, a relative brought them over from the US for me. Sold them on after a couple of rides as I didn’t find they served much purpose - they give u a little bit of stability if you ride with your hands resting on top of the grips but not enough to allow any real control of the bike, like even the shortest Ergons do.

Last edited:

Gunk

Guru
I’m currently using £8 Decathlon grips and they’re brilliant, just simple old school plain rubber grips. Much more comfortable than the fancy Ergon ones that I had before. Sometimes less is more 👍

Levo-Lon

Guru
I cant get on with thick grips, hand pain
I like the specialized grips, thinner but not soft.

I've tried quite a few, ergon are too bulky

Randy Butternubs

Über Member
If the only problem with your grips is that they rotate then you can use stainless lockwire at one or both ends to cinch them down to the bars.

Lockwire is handy stuff to have generally, often much better than cable ties for emergency bodges. You don't need fancy lockwire pliers, regular pliers will do.

D

Deleted member 23692

Looking at the DMR Death Grips. Very good following and good value at about £13.00. They come in a ‘thick’ option which suits my hands. Anyone use these?
This chap does... they're his 'signature grip'

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uZnoP2INmOE

Jody

Stubborn git
I use Lizard Skinz - Peaty version. Not cheap (about £20) but they have lasted well and really grippy even when wet.

If the only problem with your grips is that they rotate then you can use stainless lockwire at one or both ends to cinch them down to the bars.

Or use hair spray when fitting them.

Gunk

Guru
I use Lizard Skinz - Peaty version. Not cheap (about £20) but they have lasted well and really grippy even when wet.

Or use hair spray when fitting them.

Hairspray works a treat, lubricates them when sliding them on and they stick like glue when it drys out.

Top Bottom