Lock recommendations

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
What’s the go to lock for you guys? Need to purchase one for my new bike but I’ve heard mixed reviews on many of the popular ones

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Budget ? Where is it being left ?

I use a decent d-lock at work and an ABUS Bordo for the front wheel. I am in a secure shelter. If it was left in a less secure place, I'd be getting my New York FAGH Mini D lock out instead of the reasonable d-lock. I suspect the New York lock will be coming back out soon as our staff shelter is being opened to students.

Not that I don't trust students, but more users means 'tailgating' into shelters. We've had this already, someone tailgated into a staff shelter with a bike. Waited, propped open door, put own bike outside, back in, cut lock off another bike, and off they went with both bikes - all on CCTV. Owner did have a crappy combination cable lock on a £1k bike !

I have just posted something about locks on the "Bike Insurance" thread which is relevant

I had noticed that the requirements for my bike insurance seems to have been upgraded

If you have insurance against theft - whether specific bike insurance or just on your house policy - check the terms and requirements on that before you finalise a decision
Certainly all the specific bike insurance policies I have looked at specify a standard of locl they expect and often how they expect it to be used

for example mine (yellow Jersey) specifies "Sold Secure Gold" as a minimum for anything over a certain value - which will include pretty much any ebike (see user name!)
and the policy handbook seems to imply using 2 at once!!!!

Top Bottom