Lockable/Secure Quick Release Skewers

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

CharlesF

Guru
I’m have my very first set of handmade wheels built and thought that I should replace the existing QR skewers with something more robust.

Any recommendations for secure QR skewers around the £30 mark?

Cheers!

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Why? If you want your wheels to be clamped/skewered sufficiently then good old Shimano are the correct items for the job. If you want to make sure your wheels are not stolen then put your lock through the wheels.

sleuthey

Legendary Member
I have the BBB Allen key ones which are superb. Bought a nice big draper expert Allen key for my tool box to get a bit of leverage on them. If you had a good enough saw you could shorten the end of the Allen key and keep it in your handle bars but I don't.

andrew_s

Legendary Member
Why? If you want your wheels to be clamped/skewered sufficiently then good old Shimano are the correct items for the job.
Allen key skewers grip just as tightly as Shimano skewers, if not more so.

Another alternative is Hexlox, which are magnetic inserts that prevent the use of an allen key until they are removed using a key that's small enough to be unobtrusive on your key ring. They also have skewers that are both sufficiently magnetic (a lot of stainless isn't) and have ends designed to resist the use of pliers to undo the nut rather than the skewer.

OP
OP
CharlesF

CharlesF

Guru
Hexlox are intriguing, I’ll have to read up to see how you know your ss skewers are magnetic enough, or just buy the full kit.

Tom B

Guru
https://www.tredz.co.uk/.ETC-Skewer...huH3OHlEqHtU9oHwpMkX_hzYUg1WnmchoCceYQAvD_BwE

I've been using these for about 25 years since my wheel was nicked outsider the library as a young teen.

They're not infallible and can be removed with a pair of molegrips. But they certainly dissuade the casual thief and the numpties who think it fun to slacken off QRs on a parked bike.

Having had about ten sets over the years I have a good selection of keys that live in the bike shed, car, work, mum's house, puncture packs etc.

You'll probably get them cheaper I think I got the last set for about. £8 from the big River

davidphilips

Veteran
Theres lockable skewers on Ebay very cheap and they work great, personally i dont use like the external cam skewers on any bike and do not like any skewer without a steel shaft, so for me its either lockable skewers (very cheap on ebay and use them on any bike that i may leave locked) or the older but in my view better internal cam types.

davidphilips

Veteran
Seen them for a lot less at times and have even bought some sets for just over £2 with free postage , just keep a watch on as some times firms sell new ones in auction, https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bike-Wheel-Locking-Quick-Release-Pole-Bicycle-Anti-theft-Skewers-Security-Set/202851598881?hash=item2f3ae5c221:m:mIJewAwKi2O Some of the skewers just need an ala key to remove and others a 5 sided key but if stuck or if you loose the key as long as they are not to tight an alan key (not a great fit) can be used to remove them. Forgot to say have bought the mtb lockable skewers and used them on a road bike the back skewer is 5mm longer but fits great. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Lockable...tem3fdb67a62b:g:KH0AAOSwNAVeFIMa&LH_Auction=1

Last edited:
OP
OP
CharlesF

CharlesF

Guru
Seen them for a lot less at times and have even bought some sets for just over £2 with free postage , just keep a watch on as some times firms sell new ones in auction, https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bike-Wheel-Locking-Quick-Release-Pole-Bicycle-Anti-theft-Skewers-Security-Set/202851598881?hash=item2f3ae5c221:m:mIJewAwKi2O Some of the skewers just need an ala key to remove and others a 5 sided key but if stuck or if you loose the key as long as they are not to tight an alan key (not a great fit) can be used to remove them. Forgot to say have bought the mtb lockable skewers and used them on a road bike the back skewer is 5mm longer but fits great. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Lockable-security-Bicycle-Skewer-Set/274263942699?hash=item3fdb67a62b:g:KH0AAOSwNAVeFIMa&LH_Auction=1
Thanks very much, nice prices!

andrew_s

Legendary Member
Hexlox are intriguing, I’ll have to read up to see how you know your ss skewers are magnetic enough, or just buy the full kit.
Try a fridge magnet if you already have alley key skewers.
If you don't, the Hexlox ones are fairly cheap, and have a lug on the nuts that fits in the dropout slot to prevent them being forcibly turned.

Sets of security screwdriver bits are fairly cheap, and it's easy to carry a variety, so things like pentagonal allen, pin allen, or torx will only stop the opportunist.

OP
OP
CharlesF

CharlesF

Guru
As a quick solution, I have bought a set of ETC secure skewers. Now I’ll take my time deciding on a more expensive solution, which will take me to payday and some funds that I don’t have right now.

Top Bottom