Locked Shimano 105 shifter

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Spizz 23

Hi , well here I am again with another mechanical problem, ! which has probably been covered on here, ...the story goes, that I was merrily cycling to work in the sun last week, and went to change up a gear and found my right hand gear shifter locked solid and unable to change gear, I have had a similar problem in the past and solved it by simply replacing a frayed or worn cable, however having taken the old cable out , the shifter is still jammed solid almost as if there is something jammed inside ....any help or advice would be much appreciated

Thanks from Mark

doog

Is it worth spraying it with WD40 ..or dipping it for the night..I saw a guy on youtube who rescues stuck shifters by doing exactly that.

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
i have a set RSX sti's that were the same loads of GT85 , Chain Degreaser and some Plusgas and hey presto its now operational and getting better the more i use it

lpretro1

Prob some bits of wire have become detached from cable and jammed it up - you can dismantle these levers - but find a diagram before you do so

MPChurch

Regular
Taking apart the more recent 105 shifters is probably about as easy as a 5000 piece jigsaw puzzle upside-down and without the picture. Unless you know what you are doing, its probably best to take it off your bike and whip it into a shop to get a pro look at it. Failing that, i've got a nearly new set of 105 10sp shifters to sell.

OP
OP
Spizz 23

Spizz 23

The (r/h) Ultegra shifter on my Dyna-Tech play up too, & won't shift up the cassette (to smaller sprocket)
That said, they (& the bike) do date back to 1994, so I'd hazard a guess that they're worn out, or any internal lubrication has long since dried up

'Ditto' the RX100, on my old work bike

Hi Richard, you need to take the shifter off the bike completely which is a bit of a hassle as you may as well change the cables at the same time, and immerse in a good de - greaser for a while, you will be surprised as I was what this can do, I had already started looking for a new shifter on e bay, but now it is working like new after re - lubricating

Mark

Last edited:
Mark
Thanks for that

I'll clarify, if I can, some of my recent bike history......

The Dyna-Tech probably hasn't been touched for the best part of 3 years, - hence it's stickiness - since its replacement, in the work-bike status, when the (blue) Ribble was purchased
Full 8-speed Ultegra, barring a Campagnolo Chorus Chainset (172.5mm, & 52 x 39) & B/B
Dyna-Tech 755Ti. 1.JPG Dyna-Tech 755Ti. 2.JPG Dyna-Tech 755Ti. 5.JPG Dyna-Tech 755Ti. 6.JPG

The 'yellow bike', that bears the RX100 group, was a work-bike ( a bitsa) that replaced a Raleigh that was RTC'd in 1997
This has definitely been touched since that picture (date-stamp; Sept 2013)

1990s. Accident. March 1997. The Aftermath. 1.jpg Yellow Bike. 1.JPG

The Dyna-Tech was been demoted from 'good weather bike', by a Ridley in, I think(?) 2010, to work bike

The Ridley, itself, was taken off the road, last October, when my wife bought me a Ribble Gran Fondo (11-speed Ultegra, including wheels) for my 50th

The Dyna-Tech, & Ridley are both for sale, but not really advertised, just is anyone (maybe at work, or in running club) asks me if I know of a bike for sale)

Ajax Bay

Guru
you can dismantle these levers
You can.
I tried dismantling a broken sti shifter once.
Same here; just the once. See photo for 'residue'.
Taking apart the more recent 105 shifters is probably about as easy as a 5000 piece jigsaw puzzle upside-down and without the picture.
No, it's much easier than that. But forget putting the bits together again: a 5000 piece jigsaw would be easier and take less time.

If spraying/soaking with GT85/WD40 doesn't free it up (and the cable's OK ie not frayed), replace (and have fun taking the redundant one apart).
STI Tiagra 4400 bits.JPG

Top Bottom