Locking a bike up.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

classic33

Leg End Member
Would anyone use one of the eyes of a cable, with the seatpost fed through it to secure their bike. Other end/eye is wrapped round the stand & "secured" with a lock.

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
I've only used a cable to dissuade wheels being lifted, together with a D-lock to whatever's secure.

crazyjoe101

My current set up is a cable which is noosed around the front wheel, through the frame, around the secure object and then around the back wheel. That said, when I get my new bike it'll be a D-lock for the front wheel and frame with the cable through the saddle and rear wheel. I'm not sure how secure this will be but I rarely lock up for long in a public place.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
I D-lock the frame and back wheel to something metal and solid. You can do that with a medium-sized lock, but it can be a bit of a faff. If I'm going to be away in a busy central urban location for more than 15 minutes, I put a cable loop thingy through the front wheel with the eyelets on the D lock. It makes sense to try and "fill the lock" so that there is very little space to get a jack into it, but I usually can't be bothered. Do what you can, get some insurance, and hope for the best. If they want it, they will take it. There is no point in worrying about it.

Top Bottom