locking bike up.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

RoubaixCube

~Tribanese~
If you have a second cheap cable lock it probably isn't twice the effort to steal it. It takes 0,5-3 seconds to cut it with bolt cutters. The best lock on the bike determines the thiefs decision as you said. Cheap cable lock is there only to secure the front wheel or the seat, so they don't get stolen by all the other thiefs who do not carry around bolt cutters.

The cable lock was just a suggestion. You and substitute it with a Kryptonite Forgetaboutit lock if you wish. Either way having 2 different locks does go towards potentially deterring all but the most determined thieves. Most 'how to lock up your bicycle' guides i have come across recommended having two locks or two different type of locks but that again is just a suggestion.

Also if you have one good lock and a cable lock on your bike. What would be the point of cutting the cable lock to steal a wheel or a seat that you'll only sell for £20? Its not really worth it unless you can take the entire bike or get a complete wheelset

Last edited:

BojanB

Either way having 2 different locks does go towards potentially deterring all but the most determined thieves. Most 'how to lock up your bicycle' guides i have come across recommended having two locks or two different type of locks but that again is just a suggestion.

That's true. Two locks are better than one simply because it takes a thief twice as long to cut through both of them. But both locks have to be similar quality, otherwise it wont take him twice as long. Cable locks sadly don't prolong anything really because vast majority of them have the lowest security among bike locks. The reason we use them is simply to protect the front wheel or the seat.

Also if you have one good lock and a cable lock on your bike. What would be the point of cutting the cable lock to steal a wheel or a seat that you'll only sell for £20? Its not really worth it unless you can take the entire bike or get a complete wheelset

There are many reasons. We use a cable lock to prevent a thief from simply taking (not cutting through) the wheel or the seat. When you use a very good U lock to attach the bike to a pole you leave the seat and the wheel completely unguarded. Especially if both of them are attached with a quick release bolt. It takes anyone 0,87 seconds to steal it. And seats can be very expensive, especially those big fancy leather ones with springs on cruiser bikes. Wheels can be even more expensive.
Sometimes people will steal a part of your bike simply because they can. Opportunity makes a thief. There is a time and place in probably every town where that can happen.
On the other hand if you change the quick release bolt to a normal one which can't be unscrewed by hand and you leave the bike outside some punk might simply cut the fancy seat with his keys or something. Personally I always take the seat with me. Seatless bike is even less attractive to thieves.

Last edited:

BojanB

Anyway I finally received the answer from Abus. They basically say that due to the improvement of their packaging concept implemented in early 2014, they also reworked their security level system. Back then the system had combined the features of design, comfort and security, while now the new security level system only takes into consideration the security aspect. Now the 15 level scale represents only a security degree of the item. So I guess the uGrip 501 lock always had the same security, it was rated lower in the past simply because of the judgements of design and comfort. Or something like that. I find this silly...

Reactions: mjr

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
That's true. Two locks are better than one simply because it takes a thief twice as long to cut through both of them. But both locks have to be similar quality, otherwise it wont take him twice as long.
No, two similar locks aren't better because then if they can break one, they can simply repeat the process to break the other. The difference in time probably won't matter unless it takes them more than a few minutes per lock - if they've time to bust one lock, they can probably double it. I use two different types of lock partly because it means a thief has to carry two different sets of tools, making it much more obvious if the police challenge them, plus because most bikes are only locked with one - you don't need to run faster than the bear ;)

Cable locks sadly don't prolong anything really because vast majority of them have the lowest security among bike locks. The reason we use them is simply to protect the front wheel or the seat.
Yeah, my alarmed cable is often through the front wheel, frame and stand.

Especially if both of them are attached with a quick release bolt. It takes anyone 0,87 seconds to steal it. And seats can be very expensive, especially those big fancy leather ones with springs on cruiser bikes. Wheels can be even more expensive.
Wheels I understand, but unless the sprung seat has "BROOKS", "IDEALE" or similar desirable brand on it, it's probably not worth much. Those nasty-looking fiziks probably cost more.

Personally I always take the seat with me. Seatless bike is even less attractive to thieves.
Much more attractive to vandals shoving junk or pouring drinks down the seatpost, though! An unrideable bike says "abandoned bike - please attack".

BojanB

No, two similar locks aren't better because then if they can break one, they can simply repeat the process to break the other. The difference in time probably won't matter unless it takes them more than a few minutes per lock - if they've time to bust one lock, they can probably double it.

All the locks can be broken with the same tools. Nothing can withstand a cheap angle grinder and probably no locks under 8 mm can withstand bolt cutters small enough to fit a knapsack. So i'm not really sure what kind of different types of locks do you use that would need a thief to carry two different sets of tools? That's why lock companies try to prolong the time it takes the thieves to break them. That's why U locks have a system where even if you cut one side you can't simply turn the other side of the lock to open it. You have to cut through the other side too. So it takes double the time. That's why some locks have a rubber casing so they gum up the grinder blade. That's why the steel is hardened, and so on. It's not about "if they can break one", its simply about the time it takes them to break a lock. It's not about whether they can repeat the process (unless they are lockpicking), its about the time and noise.

Wheels I understand, but unless the sprung seat has "BROOKS", "IDEALE" or similar desirable brand on it, it's probably not worth much.
It's not necessarily about the money. Any fancy looking (fake)leather seat attached with a quick release bolt will get stolen.

An unrideable bike says "abandoned bike - please attack".

Nope, it depends on the quality of the bike whether it will be perceived as abandoned. Taking the seat off the parked bike is a frequent practice, I think most people know why the owner of a locked expensive bike took it off.

Top Bottom