Locking bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Moda

Will be cycling to Swiss Cottage leisure centre for swim training. Anyone with advice on how best to secure the bike so as to be able to ride it home 90 minutes later.
Thanks

J.Primus

Two D-locks though the frame, front and back wheel to something firmly attached the floor most secure. One d-lock and a looped cable through 1 wheel will do as well.
If you do a d-lock and cable you can wear the cable over your shoulder with the lock attached to it if you haven't got a bag.

OP
OP
Moda

Moda

Two D-locks.....
There appears to be a range of prices for D-locks from about £45 to about £75 and topping out at about £110. Having seen some YouTube videos am wondering how much to spent if even the most expensive ones can be got through in under a minute.

Anyway thanks for the advice :smile:

jim55

Guru
i wouldnt dpend loads as at best a lock only delays things ,a well tooled and clued up thief will see any bike lock short
kryptonite d lock and steel cable is as good as any and no more than about 25

OP
OP
Moda

Moda

What sort of bike is it? If it's a desirable bike, I wouldn't leave it out of sight.
90% of the time I'd agree but there are times when it's going to have to be left for up to 90 minutes.

I'd vote for the death penalty for bike thieves grrrrr

OP
OP
Moda

Moda

Sorry but a quick Google will get you it for £28 and up, I have just checked.
Can you post a link?

Sara_H

Guru
Bike radar do good reviews for locks. I folowed their advice and got a Abus Granit x plus and an abust granit chain o steel.

http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/categ.../review-abus--abus-granit-x-plus-54-300-39850

http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/categ...t/review-abus--steel-o-chain-81085-lock-14868

If you search the internet you can usually get the locks alot cheaper than the RRP quoted on Bike Radar. I think both my locks were around the £25 mark, one from ebay (new) and the other on speial offer at Evans.

I decided to go for a chain rather than a second d lock as I read somewhere that bike thieves are less likely to have two sets of different tools available to break the different kinds of lock.

They're heavy, but I feel reassured that I've done my best to protect my bike when I do have to leave it somewhere.

OP
OP
Moda

Moda

I decided to go for a chain rather than a second d lock as I read somewhere that bike thieves are less likely to have two sets of different tools available to break the different kinds of lock.

Thanks Sara, had a lot of bike shop recommendations for Abus locks over kryptonite. As you pointed out the twin lock approach seems a great idea and i think thats what I'll do. Will check out online prices as RRP is rather fearsome.

OP
OP
Moda

Moda

the new york is prob one of the best d locks about,mega heavy though

Just need to check the lock will fit onto the bike racks at work but will be going for the Kryptonite New York fogetaboutit and the Abus chain.

Top Bottom