Lockrings

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

JoeyB

Go on, tilt your head!
Hi,

Does anyone know why I wouldnt be able to use a Shimano 10spd cassette lock ring on a Shimano 11spd cassette? The 11spd cassette has an 11t small ring, and the 10spd lock ring will come from a cassette that also had an 11t small ring.

I've just picked up a second hand 11-32t cassette minus lockring, I have a few spares but they are all from 10spd cassettes so just wondering if I'm missing something?

Cheers
Joe

Chislenko

Veteran
Try it and see is the my best offer of advice having never done it.

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
Pretty sure they should both do exactly the same thing… Maybe one of them has a problem with the thread?

wait, I misread, this might be to do with the spacer on the free hub behind the cassette, I don’t think 11spd needs one, if it is still on the freehub it probably won’t allow the lock ring to engage?

I could be wrong and should know I had to do this today myself lol - fairly sure I removed the spacer after removing my 10spd cassette to Accept it though.

Last edited:
Reactions: C R

Jenkins

Legendary Member
Don't they all use the same thread to lock on with? I think the only thing you need to check is whether it is for a 12 tooth small ring or an 11 tooth one. The one for a 12 tooth small ring is a slightly larger diameter so would foul the chain if used with an 11 tooth inner ring.

Reactions: C R

andrew_s

Legendary Member
I'm fairly sure that both lockrings will be the same.
Spacing is set by the built in spacer on the back of the 11T sprocket.

A 10T cassette will be different.
If the lockring outside diameter is too large, the chain will ride up on it, rather than sitting at the base of the teeth. It happens occasionally with 11T lockrings if you use a Wipperman/Connex quicklink the wrong way round, so it's almost sertain to be a problem with a 10T cog

Ajax Bay

Guru
The thread of the lockring is the same for any Shimano or clone freehub/cassette: think about it. 11t cassettes have a smaller diameter lockring than a 12t cassette lockring. Spacer requirements vary with cassette speed and freehub variety (11sp/8-9-10sp).

Top Bottom