Locks, locks and more locks...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

kennycl

Regular
Evening all!

So after some great advice on buying a bike recently I thought I'd try here again. Anyone got any advice on which locks might be suitable for our family bikes. For context, my bike is worth £575, then the three others about £300 each. So nothing very special, but I am likely to have to carry at least 3 of these locks myself, so don't want them too heavy.

Most likely to be locked up places like Sherwood Pines, at the park and around reservoirs and the like whilst we go and get a coffee/ ice cream or go to the park. Most of the things I've found on the web seem to be aimed at Londoners who just want the most secure lock and/ or only have to carry one of them around :smile:

Thanks!

You can usually stack the bikes together and use one long cable. Alt use one medium strength normal cable lock and a long extension cable

If I remember rightly Sherwood pines is usually fairly quiet or at full of Center Parcs schwalbe Bike’s. The bike shop and coffee shop are good!

Most of the places you can lock your bike are round trees or the metals banisters leading up to the portacabins so I would recommend a cable lock.

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
If it's a place bikes are often locked up, using a cable lock alone will make your bikes the soft target. I use a D-lock with cables, if I cannot attach the d-lock to something solid then I d-lock two bikes together at least before using a cable extension to gather up the rest of the flock/attach to a fixed object.

Sounds like you may be able to leave the bikes somewhere you can keep an eye on them, or get one member of the family to keep an eye out whilst you get the cakes in?

vickster

Legendary Member
Maybe have a look at the Abus bordo, more flexible than a D lock, better than a cable. Otherwise hip locks worn around the waist?
Rack and panniers facilitate the carrying of multiple locks :okay:

roley poley

Über Member
Maybe each of your family should carry their OWN lock and then combine them together as a unit each locking them to one another's bikes and a firm anchor and show your solidarity against all comers ...together you will be stronger :okay:

OP
OP
K

kennycl

Regular
Thanks all. I think convincing the 4 year old to carry anything is more effort than it's worth! Cable locks for all the bikes feels a little too insecure.

Anyone know if you could use an extension cable with the Bordos?

vickster

Legendary Member
Thanks all. I think convincing the 4 year old to carry anything is more effort than it's worth! Cable locks for all the bikes feels a little too insecure.

Anyone know if you could use an extension cable with the Bordos?
No reason why not, just slip the bordo through the loop on the cable as you would with a D lock. How are you planning on using the cable, if cable locks are too insecure?

OP
OP
K

kennycl

Regular
No reason why not, just slip the bordo through the loop on the cable as you would with a D lock. How are you planning on using the cable, if cable locks are too insecure?

Basically for the two less desirable/ more battered bikes. At least it means all 4 aren't accessible by breaking one lock, just the couple that probably won't be seen as as worth it! Feels a bit over the top spending much more on locks for all of them...which I'll probably regret at some point....

D

Deleted member 26715

Like all these things it's a trade-off personally I use a cheap cable lock, but then I rarely leave the bike anywhere other than to go to the loo or get a coffee etc. I figure if they are desperate for my specific bike they will take it so all I am doing is making the casual thief move onto the one without a lock.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Which version of the bordo do you have?

The older 6000 version in black and two smaller ones in red and black. Look out for sales as that where I got mine.

I used to lock my bike with a Kryptonite New York forgeddabout it small, and a Bordo.

You could also use an alarmed cable lock for the wheels.

I use long chain locks at our caravan (locked to the van chassis) with an alarmed cable.

Always use a mix of locks. You can still use an extender cable for wheels. Suggest 1 d lock to secure bike to bike stand, bordo to secure other bikes to dlocked bike and a cable for wheels.

SO8

Veteran
In terms of decent D locks I think (though tbh don't have) this is pretty light vs strength : Abus Granut X-Plus 540.
One of these and maybe a Kryptonite Evolution Chain lock (which I do have and is handy and 'rated' by the Lock Picking Lawyer on You Tube).

Add a length of cable to use around other bikes / tyres, etc linked to D lock and it hopefully will make a thief move on ...

View: https://smile.amazon.co.uk/ABUS-Unisexs-Granit-540-Bracket/dp/B00G8QKAFU/ref=sr_1_2?dchild=1&keywords=abus+540&qid=1602580862&s=sports&sr=1-2

View: https://smile.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B006QN0MI0/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Top Bottom