Locks, transporting

gambatte

Middle of the pack...
Location
S Yorks
Not had to think about a lock, uptill now. Bikes stored inside at work and inside at home.

However, I'm intending dropping a few more cage runs, doing some of the shopping by bike etc.

I've got a cable lock and a 'D' lock. Rather than pop one in the pannier bag, I was thinking does anyone have any method for transporting them attached to the rack? Thinking pannier bag on offside, D lock on nearside?

Any other ideas considered as well (apart from using the manufacturers brackets! too loose and long gone!)
 

wafflycat

New Member
I just bungee my D-lock to the rear rack of the bike.
 

buddha

Veteran
Before I had a rack pack/bag I used to hook the D part of the lock over the nose of my saddle, with the barrel of the lock resting on the top of the rack, and secured with a bungee.
Tried the frame fitting bracket that comes with kryptonite locks, but they are useless IMO.
 

historyman

New Member
I have a ratcheted clasp on the horizontal bar of the frame and the lock clicks into in and sits inside the frame. Abus supply these clasps with many of their D-locks,
 

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Location
Bristol
I've got the UGH bracket ... cos I can't find anywhere to attatch my D lock to the bike. It seems to work, although I'm have to occasionally tighten the nuts/bolts things. A local bike shop ordered it in for me so I didn't have to pay postage. (But you can get it on Wiggle too).
 

ccj

New Member
summerdays said:
I've got the UGH bracket ... cos I can't find anywhere to attatch my D lock to the bike. It seems to work, although I'm have to occasionally tighten the nuts/bolts things.
Could you kindly confirm the "3 point mounting" refers to individual brackets, or that 3 brackets are supplied?
 
OP
G

gambatte

Middle of the pack...
Location
S Yorks
Looks to me like its 3 individual brackets make up the locking system

http://www.abus.de/us/main.asp?Scre...0132196&select=0104b08&artikel=4003318266249#

1 bracket wouldn't secure it (check the thumbnail)
 

bonj2

Guest
buddha said:
Before I had a rack pack/bag I used to hook the D part of the lock over the nose of my saddle, with the barrel of the lock resting on the top of the rack, and secured with a bungee.
Tried the frame fitting bracket that comes with kryptonite locks, but they are useless IMO.
doesn't it get in the way hooked over the nose of the saddle :blush: :biggrin:
second it that the ones that come with kryptonite locks are rubbish.
 

Abitrary

New Member
gambatte said:
I was thinking does anyone have any method for transporting them attached to the rack? Thinking pannier bag on offside, D lock on nearside?

Any other ideas considered as well (apart from using the manufacturers brackets! too loose and long gone!)
Sometimes for a leisure run, I simply lock my cable lock around my waist.
 

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Location
Bristol
ccj said:
Could you kindly confirm the "3 point mounting" refers to individual brackets, or that 3 brackets are supplied?
The piccy shows one bracket, and there are 3 of those which you attatch where-ever you want, and you can angle the bracket to have the elastic bit at different angles.
 

ccj

New Member
summerdays said:
The piccy shows one bracket, and there are 3 of those which you attatch where-ever you want, and you can angle the bracket to have the elastic bit at different angles.
Thanks.

Secure bike accessories fitting can be quite tricky considering the shaking they get on some surfaces.

The info' says "a" 3 point bracket, hence I wondered if it meant that as the tube mount is V shaped, the third point was the elastic strap.

My TLD1100 rear lamp came off earlier this week on a towpath, so I need to make a more secure fitting for that.
 

buddha

Veteran
bonj said:
doesn't it get in the way hooked over the nose of the saddle :biggrin: :biggrin:
second it that the ones that come with kryptonite locks are rubbish.
Poor explanation on my part.
The lock goes completely over the saddle so that the bend of the D(or U) rests where the top tube and seat tube meet. The body of the barrel rests horizontally on the rack. And my saddle is quit high. So no noticeable leg/lock rubbing. If that makes sense ?
All of which is academic now as I use a rack bag :biggrin:
 
Top Bottom