Locks, transporting

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I must get round to popping to the shops on the bike..... I commute on the bike every day, just still nip to the shops in the car - but my car does need starting these days - gone from 350 mils a week to just 20-30...

I don't use panniers, but could rustle up a spare rucksack for the lock and a couple of shopping items....

OP
OP
G

gambatte

Middle of the pack...
looking at that thumbnail of the Abus 'UGH', it looks like you could easily secure the lock on the inside of the panier frame. Leaving the outside still available for a second pannier bag, when required?

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
That would be very fiddly to attatch each time... if you want I could go and try ... (if I could convince myself to go out in the cold).

OP
OP
G

gambatte

Middle of the pack...
summerdays said:
That would be very fiddly to attatch each time... if you want I could go and try ... (if I could convince myself to go out in the cold).

Wouldn't be used too much, so 'each time' isn't a great deal. No need to pop out - I've just had a look at the bike and I reckon it'd fit like that, If not I use the 2nd bag even less than the lock....

Thanks anyway... looking like I'll be getting one

Arch

Married to Night Train
I generally manage to carry my D-lock in the pannier, even with other stuff in there, and if the pannier(s) are really, really too full, I just carry the D-lock over the handlebars, for shorter distances.

col

Legendary Member
I used to have a d lock carrying thing on my bike,it was on the down tube inside,cant remember what happened to it,but i use a wire lock now,carried in a similar way,just as a deterent to jumping on and off with my bike,if i pop in a shop.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Arch said:
I just carry the D-lock over the handlebars, for shorter distances.
Did that and one time it managed to jam the handlebars as I tried to turn ... thats when I bought the Ugh bracket. Now the lock is always on the bike whereas when I left it in the panniers I would set out without them occasionally and end up unable to lock up the bike.

Pete

I use a padlock and chain, which will go in a pocket. It's a fairly substantial chain, case-hardened I think (not quite sure, had it for many years). Anyway, I'm told that chains are difficult to cut, but no doubt someone will 'correct' me on this point.

OP
OP
G

gambatte

Middle of the pack...
Well, the 'ugh' has arrived.

Can't say I'm convinced.... but I've fitted it and I'll give it a decent go.

Seems solid enough.

I've managed to fit it inside the pannier frame. Not something you could do without a lot of clearance. On the outside of the frame it does seem to stand off quite a way

Top Bottom