Lon las Cymru Campsites

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Saha

Hi all,

I've just moved from India to UK and was delighted to find such a good forum. I was thinking of touring the two southern branches of lon las cymru (cardiff to glasbury and back to chepstow) this christmas. I am still waiting for my maps to arrive but could anyone reccomend good campsites along the way (wild or otherwise). I can do about 160km per day on flattish roads but am not sure about my capacity in this sort of terrain. Any suggestion would be welcome. Thanks.

jags

Guru
saha,hope you dont mind me asking but where did you get the maps from.im hopeing to do that tour from holyhead sometime next year.thanks.

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
jags said:
saha,hope you dont mind me asking but where did you get the maps from.im hopeing to do that tour from holyhead sometime next year.thanks.

Maps can be obtained direct from the route creators, Sustrans.

There's a Lon Las Cymru pack which has the two maps and a book which costs less than the sum of the three parts.

Amazon also stock the maps and the book but there's no discount to make it worthwhile.

It's a nice, but challenging in parts, ride.

vernon

Saha said:
Hi all,

I've just moved from India to UK and was delighted to find such a good forum. I was thinking of touring the two southern branches of lon las cymru (cardiff to glasbury and back to chepstow) this christmas. I am still waiting for my maps to arrive but could anyone reccomend good campsites along the way (wild or otherwise). I can do about 160km per day on flattish roads but am not sure about my capacity in this sort of terrain. Any suggestion would be welcome. Thanks.

To be honest, I'm not sure that you'll find many camp sites open at this time of year.

The ride towards Brecon is blighted by Merthyr Tydfil. There's a few climbs beyond the Heads of the Valleys Road (A465) at Merthyr Tydfil and there's a few stretchs through urban areas, not always well signposted. Things scenically improve once past Merthyr Tydfil and on towards Brecon.

I can't comment on the other southern leg as I have not ridden it.

Have a look at your gearing on your bike. I use a Dawes Galaxy with a 48/38/28 chain ring with an 11/34 megarange seven speed rear cassette.

Hope you've got a decent tent and warm sleeping bag - it's not a tour that I'd choose to do at this time of year.

jags

Guru
thank's for that vernon,im thinking september of next year ,i would imagine wales is a lot like ireland weather wise.i'll try sustrans for the map's.

vernon

jags said:
thank's for that vernon,im thinking september of next year ,i would imagine wales is a lot like ireland weather wise.i'll try sustrans for the map's.

I saw a Welsh comedian on TV last week who asked a fellow welsh woman: How old were you before you realised you could take your cagoule off?

Having said that I rode the Lon Las Cymru in four and a bit days and only got rained on once. I avoided the worst of it by seeking refuge in a bus shelter.

The bulk of the ride is very enjoyable.

Just be prepared for the killer climb from Machynlleth to Llanlidoes....

WelshYiddo

BigonaBianchi said:
..yeah..sounds like a cold wet hard ride to me!
I can indeed confirm that its blydi freezing in South Wales at the moment :blush:

Merthyr isn't so bad - depends what you're used to I suppose.

I plan to do the complete North to South ride next year, probably Easter.

You should be able to find campsites here: http://www.visitwales.co.uk/server.php?show=nav.6869

Good luck Saha.

vernon

tyred said:
I didn't realise it was possible to be wetter than Ireland was this year...

I was lucky when I did Lon Las Cymru this year. Only two wet spells - one through the night at Tywyn and one during the day near Trawsfyndd which I sat out in a bus shelter. A chap I met at a camp site near Tywyn said that he'd only had two dry days where he could have a BBQ during the six weeks that he'd been there with his caravan.

I was similarly lucky when I cycled the Coast and Castles NCN1 route and enjoyed probably the only four dry days in July in the borders and Northumberland.

Top Bottom