London 100 on SS. Any tips?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Beebo

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
Yep i did it on my Single Speed. I didnt see anyone else on SS, although i am sure there must have been. I saw a couple of bromptons and a boris bike, which looked tough.
My pace was good and my legs are clearly much stronger now.
I got up newlands corner without any trouble, box hill was so busy that i couldn't go at my own pace, which was quicker than the mases, so i had to grind it out.
Due to the massive delays i had to miss leith hill, but having seen everyone up box hill there is no way i could have made it up leith hill without stopping, as the roads were too full.
All in all this is the perfect 100 mile ride for SS, the first 40 is fast and flat, the next 30 is hilly and the final 30 is quick back into London.

Glad it went well for you!
What gearing did you go for in the end? I'm planning a London - Paris ride later in the year where we will go from Newhaven to Diep, I think a fair amount of this route will be what you rode yesterday.
J

OP
OP
Beebo

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
Glad it went well for you!
What gearing did you go for in the end? I'm planning a London - Paris ride later in the year where we will go from Newhaven to Diep, I think a fair amount of this route will be what you rode yesterday.
J
48-18 with a freewheel.

rb58

Enigma
Fixed next year then @Beebo ? I think I might try for that too. I've done a few centuries on fixed, but the last one was over a year ago. Twelve months to prepare though.

OP
OP
Beebo

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
Fixed next year then @Beebo ? I think I might try for that too. I've done a few centuries on fixed, but the last one was over a year ago. Twelve months to prepare though.
I think you started an hour and a half before me so probably didn't experience the volume of crowds that I was riding with.
I don't think I would have felt very safe on fixed in those crowds, and the descents would be hairy.
Newlands Corner was OK, I don't recall many people overtaking me, I have to admit to being one of the right hand lane shouters, as I wanted to keep my momentum up.
Up Box Hill it was manic, people were tired by then and going to slow for me, I would have like to keep a good rhythm but couldn't. I was having to push the pedal a quarter turn and then back pedal, just to keep my speed down to the pace of the other riders.

Top Bottom