London: bike or public transport?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Twelve Spokes

Time to say goodbye again...
Well that site doesn't work well on my computer,it just locks with "lets paint a pretty picture".Oh and all those bloody quotes flashing up.

I would guess most of my journeys are faster than public transport anyway.

OP
OP
deptfordmarmoset

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
Well that site doesn't work well on my computer,it just locks with "lets paint a pretty picture".Oh and all those bloody quotes flashing up.

I would guess most of my journeys are faster than public transport anyway.
I don't know where you are in NE London so I picked a random spot:

TfL.png

Twelve Spokes

Public transport faster in Sarf Lunnon?

I've got green on most of mine anyway.Plus my nearest railway station is 10/15 mins away.Would guess it would take about three buses to get to work.Too many changes slows it down,nothing direct.Plus early start times when tube isn't running + Nightbuses.We aren't all nine till fivers.:hello:

The beauty of those real early mornings though is they are generally faster commutes.

OP
OP
deptfordmarmoset

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
Public transport faster in Sarf Lunnon?

I've got green on most of mine anyway.Plus my nearest railway station is 10/15 mins away.Would guess it would take about three buses to get to work.Too many changes slows it down,nothing direct.Plus early start times when tube isn't running + Nightbuses.We aren't all nine till fivers.:hello:

The beauty of those real early mornings though is they are generally faster commutes.
For me, it looks like this. It's a bit blotchier than yours. Even with the DLR, I'm not convinced that any of Tower Hamlets or Newham is any quicker by PT- I think they've left out Greenwich foot tunnel journeys. Even so, it's getting on for 100 sq. miles.
TfL1.png

Ciar

Veteran
my average commute by bike times are between 35-40 mins 9.2m south woodford to the wharf, same going the other way.. on the tube the it's just under an hour door to door.

did try out the map but the quotes got on my tits.

Twelve Spokes

my average commute by bike times are between 35-40 mins 9.2m south woodford to the wharf, same going the other way.. on the tube the it's just under an hour door to door.

did try out the map but the quotes got on my tits.

...and mine,it dinnae work.I go to Waterloo so it's a bit more complicated by train,or something like that.:girl:

OP
OP
deptfordmarmoset

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
Would be interesting if there was costing for public transport.
Yes, and the ability to put your average urban speed in - the bike times will have been set to a low all-comers speed.

Whiskey88

You can write off to the creator of the maps and he really does consider public feedback. The option to "Show underground lines" is there because of feedback that I left - he sorted it out in under 24 hours and even sent a polite (and clearly especially-written) email back to me about it. So if you want to see costing options and average speed, click on the direct link on the article (or here - http://www.findproperly.co.uk/faster-by-public-transport-or-bike.php#.Uj3Z23OJA0y) and let the guy know.

OP
OP
deptfordmarmoset

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
You can write off to the creator of the maps and he really does consider public feedback. The option to "Show underground lines" is there because of feedback that I left - he sorted it out in under 24 hours and even sent a polite (and clearly especially-written) email back to me about it. So if you want to see costing options and average speed, click on the direct link on the article (or here - http://www.findproperly.co.uk/faster-by-public-transport-or-bike.php#.Uj3Z23OJA0y) and let the guy know.
Hi Whiskey, from what I understand the data is lifted from TfL's journey planner. Wouldn't the planner need to have a variable speed setting? Mind you, cyclestreets.net does have a limited one.

Whiskey88

@deptfordmarmoset the TfL cycle planner does, but it's rubbish so I don't use it whenever I'm planning my rides - especially as I don't think it considers the Woolwich Tunnel to be accessible by bike. Basically, you can set yourself as being fast, medium or slow and it also changes the routes based upon your speed estimate. I think slow is under 10mph, medium is 10-16mph and fast is over that, so it's still not really that fast given I can do it on 35mm tyres on a 50 year old bike. Talk to the creator though - he may not be able to do anything, but he might be able to fix it for you.

OP
OP
deptfordmarmoset

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
@deptfordmarmoset the TfL cycle planner does, but it's rubbish so I don't use it whenever I'm planning my rides - especially as I don't think it considers the Woolwich Tunnel to be accessible by bike. Basically, you can set yourself as being fast, medium or slow and it also changes the routes based upon your speed estimate. I think slow is under 10mph, medium is 10-16mph and fast is over that, so it's still not really that fast given I can do it on 35mm tyres on a 50 year old bike. Talk to the creator though - he may not be able to do anything, but he might be able to fix it for you.
Interesting. I didn't realise their planner did 3 speeds. That would significantly expand the green ''cycle quicker'' area. I may just contact the programmer.:thumbsup:

Spinney

Bimbleur extraordinaire
If you are cycling, do you have to allow additional time for changing/cleaning up when you get to work? And changing to come home? Presumably that would shrink the green areas a bit.

But then you add on a couple of hours a couple of times a week to go to the gym if you are not cycling, so that expands it a bit...

All purely academic, as I rarely go to London, let alone live there!

Top Bottom