London > Brighton

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

iamRayRay

Quads of Steel
A topic that has probably been done to death, but I'm looking to do the London to Brighton not on the official event day, so May/June time early doors start (5/6am time)

Wondering if anyone has done the same as it will be myself and 2-3 others on Road Bikes, so can't do the official route as I've heard parts are on gravel etc.

HorTs

Über Member

Last edited:
OP
OP
iamRayRay

iamRayRay

Quads of Steel
Ah ok, I thought it was briefly on gravel.

Cheers for the link, will study it closely and get myself a garmin of some sort - if only Strava upgraded so you can preload exact routes on there to take with a live link / feed!

Have you guys done the London > Brighton before?

Have heard there's a monster hill towards the end!

robing

Über Member
I've done my own route for this a couple of times. Starting at London Bridge. A3 and then A23, after Croydon go to Caterham via A22, under M25, Godstone, Blindley Heath, Turners Hill, Ardingly, Haywards Heath, Ditchling Beacon, Brighton.

OP
OP
iamRayRay

iamRayRay

Quads of Steel
I've done my own route for this a couple of times. Starting at London Bridge. A3 and then A23, after Croydon go to Caterham via A22, under M25, Godstone, Blindley Heath, Turners Hill, Ardingly, Haywards Heath, Ditchling Beacon, Brighton.

Cheers!

Am just working out logistics at the moment of getting to/from London.
Looks like there is a train from Brighton all the way to St.Albans in Hertfordshire which is ideal!

Did you get any punctures on the road?

Really looking forward to doing it now!

Sometimes in the evening and weekends the Brighton-St Albans Thameslink train stops at London Bridge and you would have to cycle to St Pancras station to get back on it, when I have had to do that I have used Blackfrairs bridge and Farrington Road as the the easiest for someone who does not know London very well.

OP
OP
iamRayRay

iamRayRay

Quads of Steel
Thanks mate, I think it will be in May when we do it, I've been doing quite a few 10-20 milers in the last few weeks so imagine this won't be too much of a shock!

Good to see a fellow manga / anime lover on the forum!
Deathnote I believe?

andym

Über Member
If you don't know London the best route from London Bridge to St Pancras is simply to take the most direct, obvious route: go over London Bridge, past the Bank of England, Finsbury Pavement, Old Street roundabout, City Road, Pentonville Road.

You can over plan these things. 3 1/2 years ago I decided to ride to Brighton when on a Friday night I was invited to a first birthday down by the beach. At the time my gear cable needed replacing and I hadn't even thought a route. I was up to after midnight plotting my route, then set off at 8 the next morning. I took my time, of course, but it isn't hard if you are used to 20 miles.

In fact, if someone like wanted to cycle to Brighton tomorrow, I'd suggest stopping at Reigate for a second breakfast, then Turners Hill for coffee and cake, the fish and chips on Brighton beach. You'd just be doing 3* ~20 mile rides, and you could even put on weight if you aren't careful.

My adventure: https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/cycling-to-brighton-with-only-one-gear.84143/
How I looked at the end: https://www.cyclechat.net/attachments/img_4861-jpg.4184/ <-See what I mean about not over preparing?
My route: https://www.strava.com/activities/12097668 (I skipped Ditchling)

OP
OP
iamRayRay

iamRayRay

Quads of Steel
In fact, if someone like wanted to cycle to Brighton tomorrow, I'd suggest stopping at Reigate for a second breakfast, then Turners Hill for coffee and cake, the fish and chips on Brighton beach. You'd just be doing 3* ~20 mile rides, and you could even put on weight if you aren't careful.

My route: https://www.strava.com/activities/12097668 (I skipped Ditchling)

Amazing, you did it on a foldie!!!

I did 24 miles 2 weekends ago on my fold up, but that's got 6 gears on it.

Agreed, I think we will just go for it and start very early doors to avoid all the traffic etc. Trying to find a good dry weekend at the moment to fulfil it though!
Have another 50-60 miler this weekend in Cambridge area, but that's a very flat and easy ride IMO.

Haha re: putting on weight!

That little hill up to Turners Hill, can be a tad hard and quite a surprise, if you don't expect it.

Top Bottom