London City to Purley commute.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Recycle

Über Member
I'm looking for a commute between City and the Purley that avoids the A237, specifically Woodcote Rd (between Woodcote green & Little Woodcote ln), and also avoids the hills approaching Crystal Palace from the City.

I don't mind either of these routes to the city because I can time my ride to avoid the congestion on Woodcote Rd in the morning, and the approaches to the city from Crystal palace are a buzz. It's a commute from the city that I'm looking for.

Just to avoid ambiguity, I don't commute via Crystal palace and the A237 in the same journey:sweat: , these are just roads I would like to avoid from the city.

Any suggestions?

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
A23 route
A24/A23 to avoid brixton and most of streatham
A24 to tooting then to Mitchem
A24 to colliers wood
Avoid Purley way by cycling through croydon town center and through South Croydon

Personally, for a daily basis, I would avoid the purley way and I would cycle through croydon town center and then down through south croydon.

Jdratcliffe

If, in your weekend cycling you've seen a middle aged bent rider in some stage of exhaustion trying to negotiate the north downs hills it's probably me.
nope sorry - commute weekdays weekend rides are few and far between due to little one but if i do its always normally south!

MichaelO

Veteran
Personally, for a daily basis, I would avoid the purley way and I would cycle through croydon town center and then down through south croydon.
This is my "normal" route on days I commute - I only cycled down Purley Way twice and it was enough! Also don't particularly enjoy Brixton/Streatham.

Trying out some new routes (which overlap some of Gaz's good suggestions) - enjoying CS7 to Tooting, then A237 through Wallington to Coulsdon and back on A23 to Merstham. It's not much further - within 0.5 miles of the A23 route!

OP
OP
Recycle

Recycle

Über Member
Trying out some new routes (which overlap some of Gaz's good suggestions) - enjoying CS7 to Tooting, then A237 through Wallington to Coulsdon and back on A23 to Merstham. It's not much further - within 0.5 miles of the A23 route!
This would take you along Woodcote Road though, the bit I'm trying to avoid. I hate this section of road, its narrow and in the evening it's made up of queued cars from Woodcote green to the roundabout at Little Woodcote lane, with little or no space for filtering without taking on the oncoming traffic.

MichaelO

Veteran
This would take you along Woodcote Road though, the bit I'm trying to avoid. I hate this section of road, its narrow and in the evening it's made up of queued cars from Woodcote green to the roundabout at Little Woodcote lane, with little or no space for filtering without taking on the oncoming traffic.
Agreed - I'm generally going through there at 6.00-6.30am in the morning (from the south), and (given work is a b*tch at the moment) well after 7.30/8.00pm in the evening - so it's relatively clear. I have been through there at 8am, and agree that it's stacked with traffic - but for me, it was as you approached Mitcham Common from the south.

Link to the route below (jdr - Recycle is right, the A237 does get busy during commute times, so depends if you're going through early/late enough to miss the worst of it)

https://maps.google.co.uk/maps?saddr=Bank Station, Cornhill, London&daddr=51.45514,-0.14533 to:51.42298,-0.16051 to:51.36898,-0.15393 to:51.323,-0.13998 to:Merstham, Redhill&hl=en&ll=51.365136,-0.149174&spn=0.078025,0.153637&sll=51.349914,-0.151234&sspn=0.078051,0.153637&geocode=FQMIEgMdWKT-_ynvx9OWVAN2SDGeU8UHZkuqgA;FaQkEQMdTsj9_ynNXpg4tAV2SDHB-ZOqLa4OEw;FQSnEAMdAo39_ym7Za2rcwZ2SDGA7m0uxoUREw;FRTUDwMdtqb9_ylvkVtsvQd2SDFBQYWyLa4OEw;FXggDwMdNN39_ykbCyKCoP11SDExHqiqLa4OEw;FYEoDgMd6p_9_ylxmWEehPx1SDGIWPzrjSVkHw&oq=merstham&mra=dpe&mrsp=4&sz=13&via=1,2,3,4&t=m&z=13

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
I agree, it is a good cut through but unfortunately it is one of those roads which I will avoid when commuting due to it being as you described.

Top Bottom