London commuting diversity

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I cycle through East London on my (almost) daily 10 mile commute and the people I see on bikes is not even close to representing the wonderful diversity of the people living in the areas I cycle through.

Cycle commuting appears to me to be a mostly white, male transport.

30+ white males, I'd say.

Buddfox

Veteran
Really? My experience of cycling through Hackney is quite the opposite. And whilst west London is not as ethnically diverse, the balance between male and female cyclists is probably 60/40?

Ciar

Veteran
I have not seen said lady cyclists on my route yet, in all honesty I haven't noticed much apart from the nutters who ride over the bow flyover! >.<

stowie

Legendary Member
I have not seen said lady cyclists on my route yet, in all honesty I haven't noticed much apart from the nutters who ride over the bow flyover! >.<

I ride over the Bow flyover (if traffic off the slip road is heavy and the wind is in the right direction so I am a litle picky..)

Never thought of myself as a nutter. Can I count myself as a double hard b*st*rd? :-)

I do get somewhat concerned by cyclists hugging the gutter on the flyover. I consider the only way to approach it is to take up all the inside lane on the east-bound side - seen some undertaking cars squeeze far too close for comfort especially on the way down when my speed (and I am remarkably slow) is probably around 30mph.

subaqua

What’s the point
I ride over the Bow flyover (if traffic off the slip road is heavy and the wind is in the right direction so I am a litle picky..)

Never thought of myself as a nutter. Can I count myself as a double hard b*st*rd? :-)

I do get somewhat concerned by cyclists hugging the gutter on the flyover. I consider the only way to approach it is to take up all the inside lane on the east-bound side - seen some undertaking cars squeeze far too close for comfort especially on the way down when my speed (and I am remarkably slow) is probably around 30mph.
I ride it both ways if i use that way in to town/home from town. and i not a nutter. its safer to ride it heading into town now that the slip road has cycle lane works being done.

AndyRM

XOXO
Does it actually matter? Some people are riding bikes, others are not.

SW19cam

Über Member
I ride it both ways if i use that way in to town/home from town. and i not a nutter. its safer to ride it heading into town now that the slip road has cycle lane works being done.

...and even before the slip road work it has always felt safer to me - who wants to navigate Bow roundabout?!

I don't recall ever having a problem with a car on the flyover, and only several with other cyclists (Passing closer than I would like).

Top Bottom