London cyclists

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bigtallfatbloke

I was in a coach yesterday leaving london watching hundreds of cyclists fighting it out with heavy traffic in the 'rush hour'....OMG...how do cyclists survive that?

zimzum42

Legendary Member
It's fun.

Most of the time, you just ride as if you were a car, and when it's jammed, you slip through......

Everything flows in London, you just need to know where the flow goes, you pick it up after a while........

Come and give it a go!

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
I'm with Zimzum

Though now in rural Oxfordshire my first real biking was commuting from Clapham to Central London and also to Morden to see the gf....now Mrs FF (back in the early eighties).
Yes it's cut and thrust, hand-hand combat stuff but soooo much fun.

I miss those days... hurtling manically through the morning rush made you feel alive!

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
I don't regularly cycle in London but sometimes I travel between stations on my Brompton. All I can say is it makes a lot more sense when you're in amongst it all. And some routes can be quieter than you might expect, even in rush hour.

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
It can be fun, it can be infuriating. I treat it as a bit of a challenge, the cut and thrust of commuting by bike. It may seem daunting to those of you who do not cycle in a busy city, but after a short while, once your confidence is high it becomes second nature.

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
Don't live in London any more, but for some years I did a Crystal Palace-Paddington commute, and after a while found Hyde Park corner and the south end of Vauxhall Bridge quite exciting! :smile:

OP
OP
Bigtallfatbloke

Bigtallfatbloke

I'd be worried about getting my bike nicked all day....I'd need to buy a beaten up old wreck of a road bike that is actually a Paul hewitt in disguise or something....what is th elife expectancy of a Lndon cycle courier this week?

pzycoman

Iv been cycling in / around london for about 4 years, as zim said, its basically just keeping up with the flow, timing things right, and you shouldnt have any problems really...i guess after a while you just get used to the whole thing?

... and you develop a knobbly bit on the fleshy part of your fist to 'advise' van drivers etc that they are squeezing a little toooooooo.... :smile:

Emu

Bigtallfatbloke said:
I was in a coach yesterday leaving london watching hundreds of cyclists fighting it out with heavy traffic in the 'rush hour'....OMG...how do cyclists survive that?

I don't know any different. I've done this since I left school 22 years ago!

Top Bottom