England : London London evening ride, Tuesday 29 May

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Possible...

Let's not go down The Mall, eh?

[QUOTE 1866809, member: 1314"]Yes! I mean May!!!

Went down the Mall yesterday. Bad move. Place was (even more) shut due to some race.[/quote]
bloody chaos wasn't it? We were trying to do the middle bit of the Thames crossings ride and failed dismally - talking of which - was that you coming the other way as we headed North on Albert Bridge? (or of the ones round there....)

BUPA 10k run - we did get to blat down the Blackfriars underpass which was closed to traffic and also at the time - bike free - always a joy. But the embankment was all closed off and ST James' park was heaving.

BUPA? Bollocks to the parasitic bastards!

CopperBrompton

Bicycle: a means of transport between cake-stops
BUPA? Bollocks to the parasitic bastards!
How can a non-profit organisation be parasitic? Enquiring minds and all that ...

I did get caught out by the run, though, so my ride back from Clapham Common after the London to Brighton overnight ride was rather longer than planned!

CopperBrompton

Bicycle: a means of transport between cake-stops
Yeah, the closures were rather extensive. I did at one stage end up on what I thought was the unused carriageway of a road closed for the run, as there were pedestrians all over it, but a very bright orange man on a bright orange motorcycle came and shoo'd us off, pointing out that the run would be making a U-turn and returning on the other side.

These evening User1314 pootles are Really Good Fun! This evening ttcycle, musa, Clarion, Crock and I met at Trafalgar Square at 5.53pm. 'Twas a good thing we ignored Crock's suggestion to leave at 5.55 as we would have missed Clarion who arrived at 5.58! :laugh:

We rode down Whitehall to Parliament Square, over Lambeth Bridge then westwards. Down Lambeth High Street (possibly Lambeth Low Street would be a better description as it is extremely narrow and there isnt a shop in sight - although it is home to the original Wedgewood factory as can be identified by its design). We weaved our way along a series of very quiet streets, went around a round, a round a round and once more for good measure :wacko: a roundabout!, then up to Clapham Common to beersies and cheersies (tea for four, 1664 for One - definitely not an FNRttC ratio :eek: ) at The Windmill. Apparently there used to be a Windmill there but now it's a popular pub.

Great discussions about Woodruffs (Hello Vernon :hello: ) single speeds, LonJog and life in general took place. We were joined by Butterfly on her very lovely tandem which I was lucky enough to ride around the car park. What a fabulous set of wheels! Then off homewards. Except ttcycle and I who headed to Tulse Hill.

ttcycle had extremely kindly offered to help me deal with my somewhat overactive hill demons which were making me doubt my cycling ability and confidence for both Whitstable and LonJoG. What a magical learning curve the next half hour became. My great fear of holding people up by being at the back of a ride due to mechanical issues or fitness issues has been appeased.

Even more importantly, I now understand how gently spinning up a hill may take longer but it takes less energy and causes less angst on both the body and the bicycle. I used the same technique up to Streatham High Road and it really made a difference. Am off to Richmond Park tomorrow to practice further. Thank you ttcycle. That was a really, really kind thing to do. It was also very impressive to see how both Musa and ttcycle could speed away from 0-30mph in about three seconds. They were dots on the horizon before I had both feet clipped in!

Thank you User1314 for arranging these rides - excellent plot and I look forward to the next one.

I took a couple of pics https://picasaweb.google.com/108733...&authkey=Gv1sRgCOrnpf-Z5NK6AQ&feat=directlink

Mice

PS See User1314 - not one single reference to the m... ini item you mentioned!

Attachments

• Crock of Gold and Clarion at the Start.jpg
    Crock of Gold and Clarion at the Start.jpg
    71.3 KB · Views: 35
*apologies for a long post*

A grand, if short, ride. I was last to arrive, and pleased to see the assembled company (I had feared that it might be just me and CoG). Especially pleased when I was informed they had considered setting off early! Cheeky buggers.

We decided to avoid The Mall, and instead ride down Whitehall and along Millbank & Embankment. If I'd been thinking about it, I might have gone down Horseguards then round by Great Smith St. But we got to Lambeth Bridge, where I feared a mistimed traffic light had split us up. Not a problem, we regrouped and rode on. I've got a few photos of the route, though I have to confess they were taken last week.

Lambeth Palace
IMAG0445.jpg

View of Westminster from Lambeth Bridge roundabout
IMAG0446.jpg

International Maritime Organisation offices
IMAG0447.jpg

Benches on Embankment
IMAG0448.jpg

Pottery factory on Lambeth High St (it's the alley down the side). used to be on the river, but when the Albert Embankment was built, canals were cut underneath to maintain river access to the factory.
IMAG0449.jpg

IMAG0450.jpg

So, rather than ride up CS7, which is swift but dull and not very sociable, I decided to lead the group up a quiet route I occasionally take, which passes through Kennington, Stockwell, and Clapham, leading directly to the Common, but avoiding the very busy roads of the area.

IMAG0451.jpg

Familiar sight for cricket fans
IMAG0452.jpg

IMAG0453.jpg

IMAG0455.jpg

I confess that I did indeed, at Lansdowne Gardens, lead the group three times round the roundabout. Well, it is so very very round, you see. I can't ever resist at least one lap, and usually three. Five cyclists going round and round was a wonderful sight, and the giggles when they realised what we were doing were priceless!

I am told that Lansdowne Gardens is the only complete Georgian square in London. dellzeqq may know different.

Block of flats
IMAG0456.jpg

Oasis Wildlife Garden
IMAG0457.jpg

Coming to Clapham
IMAG0459.jpg

Blue plaque near Clapham Common
IMAG0460.jpg

Edvard Grieg's gaff
IMAG0462.jpg

Clapham Common
IMAG0461.jpg

I did suggest the tea van, which provides a splendid cup of tea, and a grand egg butty to eat while sat by the pond watching the birds and soaking up the sun.

But CoG's look of rising panic convinced me we should, after all, head to the Windmill. He was, unusually, the only one drinking boozahol, but at least the tea came in pots:
IMAG0473.jpg

After she finished work, Butterfly came to join us, and we had a second drink before setting off our various ways - us going home, and the hard riders (ttcycle, Musa & Mice) off to play with some hills.

A good way to top off the day. The threatened rain never came, the roads were quiet, and the gentle pace through the backstreets gave us a chance to look around and enjoy it all.

Thanks, User1314, for a good suggestion to get us out and making good use of summer evenings. I only added about 5km to my normal commute, but it was worth it.

Top Bottom