London Freewheel

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Auntie Helen

Ich bin Powerfrau!
Me! On my Trice Q. I'll be wearing black but with a fluorescent yellow top and probably no flags (don't want to put peoples' eyes out!). Assuming I manage to get there on the train of course :smile:

I'm also tall with long blonde hair and blue eyes (and I'm from Essex, eek!) but that all sounds better than the reality (apart from the Essex bit).

arallsopp

Post of The Year 2009 winner
Me too! I'll be coming up on the led ride from Bromley South. I'll be on an orange SMGTe, and wearing a foska top.
If its hot, it'll be a marmite or dennis the menace T.
If its cold, it'll be a bones jacket.

arallsopp

BentMikey said:
Providing the baby isn't born before/after, I should be there on skates, with miniMikey on his Islabike (upwrong).

Interesting... So, the only way you'll be there is if the baby is born during the Freewheel? Seems a little callous, but I guess once Mrs Mikey is on the gas and air, you may as well pop out for a quick spin :rolleyes:

Auntie Helen

Ich bin Powerfrau!
I saw a good selection of Trices (a QNT, a T with a dodgy weld at the back supsension!!!, a Q, as well as Ben Lovejoy going the other way on his black Q), what I think was a KMX adult size, and at Hyde Park a pair of fast-looking carbon-fibre looking recumbents with hard shell seats. I talked to the owner of the pair of carbon-fibre recumbents (if that was what they were) and he said he had tried various recumbents and they were all rather disappointing so he made his own. I wasn't entirely convinced by his ones, it has to be said, but they were certainly getting a lot of attention.

I stopped to chat with the three Trice owners including a very nice lady with a QNT who said that there were a bunch of people on 'trike tours' who did lots of touring together on trikes. She told me to google it and I could find out about them but I couldn't find anything at all! Does anyone have any ideas about this?

I saw a couple of 8 Freights carting around stuff, I saw one normal-looking recumbent bicycle (going the other way fast) and I also saw this rather novel recumbent:
DSCF4189.jpg

As usual I got plenty of comments whilst cycling - people asking if my bike was fast, if I was lazy (!!!), how much it cost.

I thoroughly enjoyed the day, had a pretty easy train journey (although my trike only just goes through the disabled/luggage barrier at Colchester Station) and was helped with lifting my trice onto and off both trains by other cyclists. Although I normally feel really safe on my trike I did have a couple of moments when making my way from Liverpool Street to Tower Hill when I felt a bit unsafe - each time it was with buses that I knew had seen me (they pulled out round me) but who then proceeded to pull in front of me to stop. It hasn't encouraged me particularly to cycle in London, not that I expect to do that anyway with the cost of train fares. Oh, and Liverpool Street Station has a ramp all the way out but it's hard to find and I couldn't find it when I returned; I decided to try to use the lift to go down to the platform level and the lift was out of order. I wouldn't have been able to manhandle my trice down the stairs (being disabled) so eventually I went out searching for the slopy route (and found it). It would have been quite a problem for a person in a wheelchair though!

Sorry you missed it Catrike, it was good fun and it was pretty easy to spot other recumbent cyclists. I wouldn't have wanted to try to recognise any DF cyclists though; I looked out for CycleChat jerseys but most people had the fluorey jackets on and everyone looked the same!

arallsopp

Glad someone was there to represent the laid back community, Auntie Helen. As ever, a great write up.

Sorry to hear you're not well Catrike. Nothing serious I hope, but if you do get round to will writing, my buddy (on a wedgie in my vid) is seriously eyeing up a trike. Was hoping to use the freewheel to convince him. :smile:

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
Mucho thanks to an Leftpondian chap, Bill, on a streetmachine. When miniMikey went tarmac surfing at 15-20mph, he stopped behind him to cover him from all the other traffic.

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
Yeah he's fine thanks, just got roadrash on his elbow, hand, and hip. He got up, sobbed his heart out, and then went on to do another 1.5 laps. LOL!

Sig SilverPrinter

BentMikey said:
Yeah he's fine thanks, just got roadrash on his elbow, hand, and hip. He got up, sobbed his heart out, and then went on to do another 1.5 laps. LOL!

Thats good.Did see one kid down who didn't seem to be moving had stretcher there so hope they were ok

ChrisKH

Guru
Auntie Helen said:
Me! On my Trice Q. I'll be wearing black but with a fluorescent yellow top and probably no flags (don't want to put peoples' eyes out!). Assuming I manage to get there on the train of course :biggrin:

I'm also tall with long blonde hair and blue eyes (and I'm from Essex, eek!) but that all sounds better than the reality (apart from the Essex bit).

I kept my eye out for trikes and recumbents as I wanted to show my son, but only came up close to one red trike being ridden by a striking tall lady with hair grey in places going towards Tower Hill stopped on the RHS. Not you then?

Top Bottom