London naked cycle ride

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

classic33

Leg End Member
Nothing for the York one this year either.

Each to their own, but the idea is just baffling to me. I rode past a nudist resort on the French Riviera (Port Leucate, for the au naturel enthusiasts) one day shortly after breaking camp on my Big Tour and encountered a naked cyclist. Seeing an elderly German chap and his gentleman sausage before you've had your breakfast is just the wurst.

Is it just me or the participants bikes is a give-away that they are not regular or serious cyclists. Or free expression is the key and bike just happens to be most appropriate platform. Absolutely no issues with nudity just a thought.

I’ve done the London one 2 or 3 times, it’s an utter hoot!
naked dare I ask, or like the cop-out guy in the original pic with a pair of pants?

I know someone who did it - glad I was spared the sight of him.

Once came across them (ooer) in Whitehall.

(I have nothing against it by the way - takes all sorts - though have the idea that you wouldn't want to get stuck in the kitchen with SOME of the participants at a party - a bit too theatrical/into themselves)

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
naked dare I ask, or like the cop-out guy in the original pic with a pair of pants?

I know someone who did it - glad I was spared the sight of him.

Once came across them (ooer) in Whitehall.

(I have nothing against it by the way - takes all sorts - though have the idea that you wouldn't want to get stuck in the kitchen with SOME of the participants at a party - a bit too theatrical/into themselves)
Nekkid every time.
The look on the faces of tourists etc. that line the pavements is fabulous. Then there are those that whisk their families away in disgust. But mostly the reaction is positive and fun. My face usually hurts most at the end of the day from all the smiling!

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Is it just me or the participants bikes is a give-away that they are not regular or serious cyclists. Or free expression is the key and bike just happens to be most appropriate platform. Absolutely no issues with nudity just a thought.
There’s all-sorts. Me and a pal cycled there from Oxford. Most are London based, so a mixed urban bag. To be fair, it's not the kind of route or event for your best carbon race-bike, but it’s perfectly suited for your pub-bike....

Is it just me or the participants bikes is a give-away that they are not regular or serious cyclists.
We need to get away from this.
Cycling shouldn't be serious. It should be available to everyone. Doesn't need lycra or power meters just people happy out on their bikes.

We need to get away from this.
Cycling shouldn't be serious. It should be available to everyone. Doesn't need lycra or power meters just people happy out on their bikes.
My point is it does not seem to be a cycling event or organised by a cycling movement or even a cyclist. It appears to be a protest movement and to promote free expression. It just seem to use cycling to move across from point A to point B to maximise exposure.

I initially had the impression it was a cycling group that was behind it. Lycra, power meter ????

There’s all-sorts. Me and a pal cycled there from Oxford. Most are London based, so a mixed urban bag. To be fair, it's not the kind of route or event for your best carbon race-bike, but it’s perfectly suited for your pub-bike....
I now don't think it has anything to do with cycling but I won't be surprised that people might have assumed that, just like I did.

numbnuts

Legendary Member
The World Naked Bike Ride “celebrates the potential of cycling and the human body”, acts as an environmental protest and emphasises the vulnerability of cyclists on the roads. ... You don't see cyclists on the roads when they have clothes on but you do if we are naked.
Ain't that a fact.......

Last edited:

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
My point is it does not seem to be a cycling event or organised by a cycling movement or even a cyclist. It appears to be a protest movement and to promote free expression. It just seem to use cycling to move across from point A to point B to maximise exposure.
They certainly do that.

Top Bottom