London pull out of 2017 Grand Depart

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

oldroadman

Veteran
I don't remember saying they weren't in the UK. I'm also not arguing that ASO have business sense but to be honest, wherever they put the Grand Depart will tend to be good business. They do however have that Gallic sense of peevedness and I will be really surprised if they bring it to England again anytime soon. They will also recognise not only the organisational and scenic elements of a stage 1 in Scotland but also the fact that by cosying up to NS they can stick a couple of fingers up to England.
One good reason for not starting in Scotland - transfers. Bad enough Yorkshire to Cambridge last time around. Transfers in UK are different, autoroutes/motorways are overcrowded, full of trucks, and too busy, transfers take for ever. Start in say Edinburgh, and you still have to get to a channel port so one day in Scotland, two in England, plus big transfers. From a team/rider point of view, not too good. Plus of course finding 4,000 or so beds every night.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
One good reason for not starting in Scotland - transfers. Bad enough Yorkshire to Cambridge last time around. Transfers in UK are different, autoroutes/motorways are overcrowded, full of trucks, and too busy, transfers take for ever. Start in say Edinburgh, and you still have to get to a channel port so one day in Scotland, two in England, plus big transfers. From a team/rider point of view, not too good. Plus of course finding 4,000 or so beds every night.
They could take a ferry from Newcastle to Holland after a couple of days in Scotland that gives em 15 1/2hours on the boat, plenty of time to roll off in the morning and then cycle down to France. :whistle:

OP
OP
Bobby Mhor

Bobby Mhor

Wasn't born to follow
They could take a ferry from Newcastle to Holland after a couple of days in Scotland that gives em 15 1/2hours on the boat, plenty of time to roll off in the morning and then cycle down to France. :whistle:
They could rent a (or divert a Newcastle) ferry and sail from Rosyth to le Continent...
accommodation could be a problem en Ecosse...
pity

oldroadman

Veteran
15.5 hours on a north sea ferry rocking and rolling all over the place. I can't imagine a more wonderful preparation for a day's stage...xx(

raleighnut

Legendary Member
15.5 hours on a north sea ferry rocking and rolling all over the place. I can't imagine a more wonderful preparation for a day's stage...xx(
Hence the :whistle:
I'd like to see the TDeF go back to the tough challenge it used to be with riders carrying their own spares and riding on a combination of Brandy and Cocaine/Amphetamines whilst they lit each others Cigarettes at the top of a climb.

Smoking07.jpg

Although this is probably a better pic
dG7FI0r.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Bobby Mhor

Bobby Mhor

Wasn't born to follow
http://www.theguardian.com/sport/20...-londons-decision-to-turn-down-tour-de-france

... makes things a bit clearer - they'd hoped for external funding which didn't materialise, so then the choice became spend the cycling budget or don't do it. Boardman echoes our comments at the end.

Maybe I'm being harsh, but you'd have thought they'd have a good idea whether the funding was in place before bidding, perhaps?
I reckon Boris just took the hump....
I think the whole story isn't being floated out...
the bulk of the money was to be for the infrastructure to be closed for the specific time period.
The ASO surely should have guarantees that funding would be in place before awarding the Grand Depart as it makes them look a bunch of fandangos as well. Poor business all round.

How did they get over and back to Belfast for the Giro and what were sleeping arrangements? Likewise when the Tour went to Ireland in 98?

I don't know the answer but it seemed to work; most things do if you want them to.

martint235

Dog on a bike
They still keep toying with the idea of using Martinique for a stage as it's one of the few French Departments not used yet. The transfer logistics will be interesting

rich p

ridiculous old lush
How did they get over and back to Belfast for the Giro and what were sleeping arrangements? Likewise when the Tour went to Ireland in 98?

I don't know the answer but it seemed to work; most things do if you want them to.
Didn't they have an extra rest day?

oldroadman

Veteran
There was in 2014 Giro, where they had 3 stages and then a rest day, but the 1998 Tour had 3 stages in Ireland and then stage 4 in France (Roscoff) without a rest day in between (and without a lot of the drugs they planned to take on their travels...)
The riders will have flown charter to the nearest airport. Probably on the flight within 90 minutes of the stage finish. Bigger problem for team staff, press, officials, who have to get on a ferry and try to do all their usual work, get some sleep on a ship, get off early, cover a stage. No surprise that people are tired and that's when the mistakes happen. From a rider point of view the most tricky days are ones following a long transfer.

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
The only reason the TdF merchandise cost Welcome to Yorkshire a fortune was that someone in their marketing department thought that people would buy any old crap with a logo on at any price. Even when 'reduced to clear' what they had left made no financial sense (£10 for a mug for an event nearly 2 years ago..?).
Plus it was only available to buy in a very limited number of actual shops / outlets, other than the website.
It was the only aspect of the Grand Depart that wasn't well organised and they still have stock left:
http://wtyshop.com/subcategories/294-grand-depart-clearance

As for London pulling out? Well Boris has his eyes on a bigger prize now doesn't he - and I doubt that he cares much what anyone thinks.

Top Bottom