London Sightseer Anyone?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
I was thinking about having a go at my first Audax this year, specifically the 'London Sightseer'. I like the idea of 100km at my own pace, in a place I don't normally ride.
Has anyone on here done this one? And any advice for first Audax?
Thanks

I was thinking about having a go at my first Audax this year, specifically the 'London Sightseer'. I like the idea of 100km at my own pace, in a place I don't normally ride.
Has anyone on here done this one? And any advice for first Audax?
Thanks
That one http://www.aukweb.net/events/detail/13-559/ looks like an excellent first audax. Zero climbing (despite the starting point having "hill" in it's name, it is just about at sea/river level) and a very slow minimum pace, 6mph.

I honestly don't think you need much advice for this one. They have provided a pretty good introduction http://www.hounslowanddistrictwheelers.co.uk/information/london-sightseer/ Bring a pen for the info controls. If you have a GPS, I wouldn't even bother laminating the route sheets. You can keep them in a pocket folded; there's plenty of time to fumble for them if you need them.

Oh, just checked the route ... Richmond and Greenwich parks means some climbing, but the rest will be nearly flat.

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
I've ridden it once or possibly twice. The routesheet looked a nightmare with all the controls, but was was a very pleasant ride – perfect for a novice accompanying me.

tatr

I tried riding it clockwise then anti-clockwise as a DIY200. It was very hard because the cycle paths really slow you down, especially on the eastern section.

Took me to some interesting news places though! I'd certainly ride it again.

robgul

Legendary Member
I've ridden it 9 times since 2005 - 5 on the Wednesday June version and 4 on the September Sunday .... I rather like it!

It really is something completely different - if you don't know London the navigation is a bit tough and having to keep checking the route sheet slows you down significantly. Unfortunately I can't get there for 4 Sept otherwise I'd have been riding again.

Just do it!

Rob

OP
OP
cosmicbike

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
Sadly going to have to miss it. House move took longer than planned and only got through the door on Friday so no chance of a day pass. Next year perhaps

vickster

Legendary Member
That's a shame, I was looking forward to reading about an audax from a first timer's viewpoint. It sounds like a nice introductory distance too.
It'll be my first audax, although @jefmcg is a veteran :smile:

Cool, I hope we get a report then as it'll be really interesting to hear about it. I think randonees sound intriguing anyway but a 100k, around London, and from a newcomers view point, it's all too good to miss.
I'm expecting it to be a good day, but this is so far out @vickster's normal riding, that I was surprised she agreed. I'll be as interested in her report as anyone else.

I've just (8 hours ago) asked the organiser for the GPX, even though we haven't signed up for the ride. What's the usual wait?

tatr

They normally send out a gpx the week before the event to people who have signed up / paid.

DaveReading

Don't suffer fools gladly (must try harder!)
I've only done one Audax (the HHH) so I shouldn't generalise, but I'd got the impression that routesheets and/or maps were typically posted on the relevant event page on the Audax UK website.

That doesn't seem to be the case here, which is a shame - I can't do it tomorrow, but I'd love to see the route. The description of it on the Wheelers website sounds intriguing.

That doesn't seem to be the case here, which is a shame - I can't do it tomorrow, but I'd love to see the route. The description of it on the Wheelers website sounds intriguing.
Organiser won't send me the GPX until I've paid, which I've done now. It's his intellectual property, so I won't share it - but you can usually find audax routes because riders share their rides on strava etc.

Top Bottom