london to bath... and a question about cleats

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jely

hi everyone,

anyone know of a good route from london to bath ... thought i might give it a whirl this long weekend. i'm trying on that viamichelin but it doesn't give me bike routes (even when i do click the by bike option!) and i'm not sure where else to look.

another thing - i'm going to be starting off cycling around europe in a couple of months and i was just wondering whether it would be worth my while installing cleats (and practising now) for the mountain ranges... i think yes for that whole maximising energy argument, but then i think no cause i'll just have to carry an extra pair of trainers, hence perhaps cancelling out the energy maximised. :biggrin: any suggestions to help me figure out which way to go...

thanks all... :smile:

Bigtallfatbloke

I speak as a novice however I ride my tourer with spd cleats all the time, wouldn't go back to being strapped in for anything. When i have been on a tour and been camping I ride with walkable road shoes which I wear on and off the bike, I also carry a pair of croc shoes which weigh almost nothing and are ideal for the evenings off the bike....they live in the mesh net on top of my panniers so they take up no room inside the bags and being plastic it is irrelevant if they get wet. They are also relatively easy to replace if they get lost.

ronstrutt

To be honest, once you're out of London the A4 takes a lot of beating. Direct and not too busy as all the long-distance traffic uses the M4.

U

User482

Yeah, the A4 from Newbury to Bath is ok. It's busy before thatso I would advise seeking another route. If you're not in a hurry there's a Sustrans alternative which takes in the Avon & Kennet canal.

Rob S

Once you get to Bradford on Avon I can thoroughly recommend the Avon Walkway...a lovely ride.

I agree the A4 is a pretty good road to cycle on once west of Newbury.

AlanO

Hi Jely

I would go for cleats. I have used them for years now and would not go back. The only time I don't use cleats is if I am going to my local shops. If you are on and off the bike a lot them get some shoes that can double up for walking and cycling with the cleat recessed into the sole.

Practice before is a good idea as even the most experienced cyclist can sometimes not get unclipped in time. :ohmy:

Enjoy your trip to Bath.

bonj2

jely said:
hi everyone,

anyone know of a good route from london to bath ...
m4?

Top Bottom