London to Brighton 2010

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

OliverAmoros

HeyWayne said:
OK, so what are the 'essentials'?

Bike
Padded shorts
Tyre levers
Spare tube
Fluids (2 bottles)
Helmet
Gloves
Phone
Wallet
Camera?
Food?

Chain tool / multitool
Sun Glasses (we're heading south!)

OliverAmoros

ianrauk said:
If I remember rightly, no bikes are allowed on trains from Brighton on that day. Others may be able to confirm.

Yeh I keep hearing conflicting ideas on this!

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
HeyWayne said:
OK, so what are the 'essentials'?

Bike
Padded shorts
Tyre levers
Spare tube
Fluids (2 bottles)
Helmet
Gloves
Phone
Wallet
Camera?
Food?

That's mostly it except...

A way to get home...
Suncream for hours out in the open?
Something wind-proof showerproof just in case? There was a big cloudburst one year just over Ditchling, 'twas hot and sunny leaving London, few had anything other than T-shirts.many many people got soaked to the bone and then endured a stiff sea Breeze in Brighton, people were starting to get hypothermia. Be equipped.

Food wise, there are more food stops than a monkey has fleas.

Just pack a good attitude, heed the marshalls and you'll have a good day.

BTW, where are you in Bedfordshire... used to live in Wilden... but I escaped ;)

OP
OP
HeyWayne

HeyWayne

Fab Foodie said:
BTW, where are you in Bedfordshire... used to live in Wilden... but I escaped ;)

I'm in Harlington.

By the way, I know Abingdon fairly well - my Grandad used to live there, in the grounds of St Helens in his latter years. Nice part of the world.

My brother lives in Brighton so my wife will meet me there. I hear it's horrendous getting out after the event.

I'm pretty sure I can get the train down to St Pancras in the morning, it's getting from there to Clapham Common I'm struggling with...

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
HeyWayne said:
I'm pretty sure I can get the train down to St Pancras in the morning, it's getting from there to Clapham Common I'm struggling with...

Don't know Harlington I'm afraid, but I'll agree that Abingdon's not a bad place to be though :biggrin:

Getting to Clapham common is pretty easy.
From St Pancras head southish 'till you hit the river, anywhere close to Parliment or The Eye then you can follow a route to Elephant and Castle and from there the A24 following the Northern Line to Clapham... the Common's pretty obvious!
The earlier you can make it the easier and less crowded the cycling.
Enjoy!

yoyo

I've just been given a start time of 8.30am. Is this one of the latest possible times and will it be very crowded then? I asked for 6.00am.

OP
OP
HeyWayne

HeyWayne

I just ran my the route from Ditchling to Brighton through mapmyride.com and compared it to the 'hill' I have real trouble with on my local ride.

I'm stuffed!!

I'll never make it up The Beacon!

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
You wont be cycling up the Beacon anyway. There will be far too many people walking up. It's a very narrow road so it makes cycling impossible on this ride.

OliverAmoros

ianrauk said:
You wont be cycling up the Beacon anyway. There will be far too many people walking up. It's a very narrow road so it makes cycling impossible on this ride.

Can all walkers please keep to the left! :bicycle:

Mike!

Guru
I did it about 6 or 7 years ago and had a go up the beacon, made it about 3/4 of the way up but on my old MTB with knobblies :wacko:

Most are walking but i found the right side of the road to be fairly clear

richardj5

How was it for you then?

I had a good day, first time, 4 hours 3 mins, I didn't do all of ditchling though, a mixture of tired legs and congestion put a stop to that.

I did get up to 43.5 on the way down though (according to the bike computer) which was fun, but people were overtakeing me, and I was scared enough :wacko:

A great day, at home with a beer as well (first in over 8 weeks).

Does anyone know the exact route, I'd love to add it to my training log on map my ride, but I have no idea what it was, just followed everyone else!

Cheers

Top Bottom